I want to disconect battery backup sfh ont 612a
cowseatmaize
The problem is I don't have a need for this except it appears to be integral. I have a cel in case or power outage and unplugging cuts out my cable ect... I don't see why I have to use 17+ watts 24 hours a day at idle to run this. Is there a bypass somewhere? Thanks, Eric
0 Likes
Re: I want to disconect battery backup sfh ont 612a
Hubrisnxs
Legend

The FiOS is a PASSIVE optical network, so it's unlike our old copper phone system.  The old system, Verizon sent the power to the dialtone and the services, and you didn't have to have anything at the house plugged into AC if you didn't want it to.  

With FiOS it is passive meaning they don't send AC down the line from the head end.  YOU have to have working AC at the house to run the TV signal and the internet connection.  Without power at the house the video and the internet won't work.

That battery does not run 24 x 7 so it shouldn't be pulling juice unless there is a power outage   in which case it turns on. 

So your short answer is NO you can not really disconnect the BBU without affecting your service. 

YES you can disconnect the battery if you really want, but I don't see a real reason to do it as far as saving electricity, but if you wanted to - you can open up the BBU and then just disconnect the leads to the battery.  that will cut off the battery, but you MUST keep the 110v plugged into the wall for the TV and the Internet to work.

0 Likes