Intermittent remote control of Cisco DVR
markhou

We moved and recently had FIOS installed in our new home. Our prior home setup had no issues.  The remote intermittently operates the DVR.  Sometimes keystrokes work in quick succession, other times 10-20 keystrokes are necessary to get one to activate.  The remote works perfectly with the TV or our non-DVR box.  This is the second box that the problem has occurred with.  the DVR is a Cisco   CHS 435 HDC.  Distance from the DVR has no effect.

Has anyone else seen the problem or found a solution.

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Intermittent remote control of Cisco DVR
tonyro1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the EXACT same problem and it's driving me crazy.  The power and volume controls work fine, but when I go into the guide or any menu the arrow keys don't work.  Takes me a long time to navigate any menu to the point where I have to go to the box and use the arrows on the box.  Then I have trouble exiting the menu because the exit and ok buttons don't work more often than not either.  It's frustrating to the point that I'm considering cancelling the service and going back to Comcast.  I'm on my second remote and second set top box and all have had the same problem.  Nobody at Verizon seems able to help. 

0 Likes
tonyro1
Enthusiast - Level 1

The solution that worked for me, as suggested by a poster in another thread:  pu a Post It not sticky over the IR sensor on your STB.  I just did it last night and now my remote works.  How/why? I don't know.  I only know that it works!

0 Likes
Cazzz

I have the exact same problem using the exact same box, its very annoying and driving me crazy. Seems to be worse in Dynamic mode, but still has problems in all modes, and very random. I have tried 3 different remotes. I have a samsung 60 plasma. Thought it might be the tv and returned the tv for a diffferent model samsung and still the same problem.

0 Likes
foogama1

I registered JUST so I could post to this thread.  I'm having the exact same issue, and I've come very close to putting the remote in a blender.  I have a STB in the bedroom (slightly different model) that doesn't have the issue at all, but the 435HDC only detects every 10th button I press on the remote.  Distance and angle doesn't effect the issue, and I turned off and unpluged my A/V Receiver and TV just to see if that would make a difference.  It didn't.

I tried the sticky note trick (I can't believe I did, but I did) and that did nothing.

It's good to know this has been going on for a year and Verizon has done absolutely nothing about it.  The technician that installed my service noticed the issue himself and left us with it saying "unfortunately, there's nothing I can do about that."

What a joke.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

try this,   it may fix it. 

menu>settings>Video settings

Choose SD Override (only one that affects the speed)

There are two settings that work well in my opinion.

SD Override OFF

and 

SD Override 480I

So try them both and let us know if that fixes it. 

0 Likes