IPC4100: SNR Level, value & Short term Error Count Readings.
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Back when we had Motorola STBs, I could navigate the menus to check on SNR & Error Count readings to check for cabling issues before they became service affecting or after we started seeing problems.

Off & on I've been checking the same screen on my bedroom's ipc4100 and the data fields are either blank "value", -error- " SNR Level" or N/A "Short term Error Count". Ditto for our other mini as well as the main unit.

Are these data fields still valid with the new Arris STBs? ðŸ¤”imageScreen Shot.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: IPC4100: SNR Level, value & Short term Error Count Readings.
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

There's a menu that shows MoCA signal strength and bit-error-rates for all of the set-top-boxes.  That's what you want to look at to determine the signal strength at a mini.  It also shows signal data for each of the main boxes six tuners.

From the menu, select:

Customer Support

Top Support Tools

Connected Device Status

Once this loads, navigate to one of the setup boxes and select it.  Then select

Advanced Diagnostics

Enjoy!

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dexman wrote:

Back when we had Motorola STBs, I could navigate the menus to check on SNR & Error Count readings to check for cabling issues before they became service affecting or after we started seeing problems.

Off & on I've been checking the same screen on my bedroom's ipc4100 and the data fields are either blank "value", -error- " SNR Level" or N/A "Short term Error Count". Ditto for our other mini as well as the main unit.

Are these data fields still valid with the new Arris STBs? ðŸ¤”imageScreen Shot.

Yes, they usually are populated with either GOOD, POOR, or the actual numerical value. I have no idea why you are seeing this. I assume you are looking at: Main Menu > Settings > System Information.

I'd try unplugging power to the VMS box for at least 3 minutes, then restoring power and see if it re-populates correctly. Might also try Power cycling the router and see if that helps.

Does page 2 look like this:

Also here:

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hi Clem!

I see two differences.

. Voice Server Status: Not Connected.

. Streaming Server Status: Section is missing.

Other than that, they are pretty much identical.

Paul

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dexman wrote:

Hi Clem!

I see two differences.

. Voice Server Status: Not Connected.

. Streaming Server Status: Section is missing.

Other than that, they are pretty much identical.

Paul

Are you using a Fios router as the main in the system? Can you see the YouTube and Netflix channels from the box?

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yup to the hardware. 3100 router and three 3200 extenders. Not sure about YouTube/Netflix. Will need to try that out.

This situation has been since day #1, so, it isn't the result of a recent change.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Luckily everyone else stepped out of the house, allowing me the chance to power cycle everything (the ONT and all three STBs).

The primary STB does show the error information. The minis do not.

I'm starting to wonder if this is by design. 🤔

Two of our TVs are "dumb". They are HD, but do not have Internet capability.

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dexman wrote:

Luckily everyone else stepped out of the house, allowing me the chance to power cycle everything (the ONT and all three STBs).

The primary STB does show the error information. The minis do not.

I'm starting to wonder if this is by design. 🤔

Two of our TVs are "dumb". They are HD, but do not have Internet capability.

I was talking about the Netflix and You Tube widgets built into the Fios boxes, not in the TVs themselves.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Whoops....My bad. 😕

Yes. I can access & watch YouTube videos via the STB app.

Video quality was perfectly fine. 🙂

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dexman wrote:

Whoops....My bad. 😕

Yes. I can access & watch YouTube videos via the STB app.

Video quality was perfectly fine. 🙂

That's really strange as the minis get all their content from the VMS. Don't know what else could cause it except possibly bad VMS. Definitely not that way by design.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hey Clem,

On a hunch, after I posted my last reply, I called Verizon Customer Support and spoke with Jake (US-based rep).

He said (and I'll use basic terminology rather than the technical ones) that the mini STBs (clients) do not have onboard tuners. The tuners are inside the main unit (media server). So, unlike the main unit, the mini STBs don't really have a way to report the stats.

If this is true, it's a bit sad because a marginal splitter or connector could low level impact the transmission to one mini but not the other(s). Checking the stats and seeing a few errors would signal a problem in the making even if the effects were not being seen at the moment.

Maybe Arris will modify the hardware in a future release to allow minis to report errors much the same way that the main unit (media server) does.

Paul