Latest firmware has removed a significant feature to FIOS Quantum DVR service
Flyerguy90
Enthusiast - Level 2

I may be incorrect on some of the details here, but I am sure about the feature that I (and I assume everyone else) has lost in the latest update to the DVR system

Firmware version KA15.09.16.10 is what I have listed in my Settings screen, and after talking to a 2nd level tech support rep, that is the latest.

Here is the feature:

Previous to this update, live TV recording made it possible to hold (in the DVR buffer) the portion of the channel you were watching before changing to a 2nd channel.  If you were watching ABC for an hour, then switched to FOX, and then back to ABC you could still rewind ABC up to that full hour your box was on.  Considering the new Quantum media server box (the main box) contains 6 tuners, this was the normal behavior when all DVR resources are available.

After the firmware update, this is no longer possible. 

The DVR deletes the buffer from the previous channel immidiately and starts recording only the currently viewed channel.  And this has been tested in a five TV household, with a media server main box and four client boxes (IFC?), with NO shows being recorded, and only one TV (and box) turned on.

If you were unaware of this change, test it for yourselves (and here, I may be unaware of additional circumstances - I do not know exactly who gets this particular firmware).  But I can say without a doubt, as somebody who has been accustomed to this feature for the last 2 years (1 month+ with the new Quantum hardware), it is a considerable downgrade in both casual TV viewing, and the loss of an extremely useful feature.

If you agree this needs to be returned to the FIOS DVR service, let them know about it.

0 Likes
Re: Latest firmware has removed a significant feature to FIOS Quantum DVR service
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Tried it and NOT seeing this problem.   Both of the two channels can still be rewound a hour on mine.

You may need to try "Fix FIOS TV Issues" .  Menu/Customer support/Top Support Tools/Fix FIOS TV Issues"

0 Likes
Re: Latest firmware has removed a significant feature to FIOS Quantum DVR service
Flyerguy90
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks.

tried this on both client and main box, and I No longer have this feature.  After 5 minutes on 1 channel, I can hit the info button and see a section of the timeline in red (rewindable), then switch to another channel and immidiately switch back, and I have No red recorded line on the timeline and cannot rewind at all.

This was how the tech explained to me the system is now SUPPOSED to work.

How are you able to do this?  Have you not upgraded your set top boxes?

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I see the same behavior as described by TNS_2.   If I change channels back-and-forth between any two channels, when I return to the previous channel I have the red line going back (up to an hour) to the time I first tuned in that channel.

I can't explain why TNS_2 and I are seeing the way you want things to work and you're not, nor can I explain why a Verizon tech told you your situation is the way it's supposed to be.  But I'm sure what I'm seeing....

STB here is a VMS1100 with the latest updates.

Edit:  I wonder if there's any possiblity that the feature we're discussing here might vary from different parts of the country?  Long Island, NY, here.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you doing this when a show only lasts 1 hour?

I don't remember being able to rewind past the begining of the current show.

And it definately wouldn't record the previous show.

Otherwise, I agree with eljefe.

I can switch back and forth between channels and always have the option to rewind or start recording from the beginning or the past hour whichever is shorter.

Edit:

I  was able to duplicate the issue you see.

But I only see it on the IPC.

Works fine on VMS but when I switch channels and then back on IPC, I no longer have a buffer.

But I can't say if it ever worked the way you describe on IPC.

But it works fine on VMS for me.

0 Likes
Flyerguy90
Enthusiast - Level 2

I  was able to duplicate the issue you see.

But I only see it on the IPC.

Works fine on VMS but when I switch channels and then back on IPC, I no longer have a buffer.

But I can't say if it ever worked the way you describe on IPC.

But it works fine on VMS for me.

As I said in my post, yes, the issue only occurrs with one TV (and box) turned on.  I was not sure of the names of the bigger and smaller boxes (VMS, IPC) when I initially posted, but I am specifically referring to a situation with only one smaller, IPC in use.

And no, this was NOT how they behaved prior to the latest update.  I know for a fact it was not because up until this change occurred, we routinely watched multiple shows on our bedroom TV (with IPC) this way while all other boxes in the house (including the VMS down in the Living Room) were turned off.  Multiple recording buffers available with more than one channel.

When the VMS is left on, the IPC's retain the ability.  But turn it off, and the IPC's can only access 1 buffer at a time.  So the 6 tuners we paid for with this system are no longer being utilized on any of the client IPC equipped TV's, which therefore means, unless you are willing to power the VMS 24-7 (and considering my electric bill, I am NOT), the ability to fully utilize the Quantum all-in-one DVR system has been significantly neutered with this latest change.

At the very least we should be given a discount based on this reduction in performance. 

And I hope the tech I spoke to furthered my complaint to those who made this change and/or these people are reading this.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

The IPC (smaller boxes) have no buffers. And they use only one tuner from the VMS.  In my testing, if the VMS has two channels active (which it normally does) and its one of the ones that you change back and forth to  on the IPC then you can rewind up to an hour.  Otherwise not.  Also  the IPC box can rewind on the channel its on (but only for the time the box was on  and it loses it if you switch channels.

I believe this was essentially how it always worked.  Perhaps the updates they made in the last few release to try and release tuners when not in use have made this more obvious.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unless you unplug or have a power strip to power the VMS off, just turning it off from the power switch saves little to no electricity.

The IPC will not work if the VMS is truly powered off.

As TNS says, IPCs are dumb units that utilize a tuner of the VMS.

0 Likes
Flyerguy90
Enthusiast - Level 2

@tns_2 wrote:

I believe this was essentially how it always worked.  Perhaps the updates they made in the last few release to try and release tuners when not in use have made this more obvious.

It is not.  I've already stated this.  Why would somebody invent a feature that never existed simply to complain about?

And any update which now forces the customer to leave an unused STB on and drawing power 24/7 in order to make use of the primary feature of the multi-DVR system when it did not previously require this added cost, is a poorly designed update.

Are there any Verizon Tech Support rep's here who can fwd this to someone and find out the reasoning behind this change?  Calling the 800 number definitely does not provide any results.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is mainly a peer to peer support forum.

Don't understand the comment about power.

Are you actually powering down the VMS (not just turning it off but removing power)?

The IPCs need a powered on VMS to operate fully.

The tuners for the IPCs are actually in the VMS.

If the VMS is unavailable, the IPCs revert to the equivalent of the FIOS APP for channels.
You lose the DVR capability.

0 Likes