Re: Lip Sync with Fios STB (VMS4100)
Mbpe300
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the:

Release: APR-6.8

No "passthrough" in the Settings -> Audio...

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you check the service menu? Also is it possible to set a negative value in the service menus audio sync menu?

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Another quick thought: is your TVs framerate menu set to auto, or is it set to 24fps fixed?

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

What brand and model TV are you using? Going from Fios box directly into tv?

Mbpe300
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just tried all the options in the service menu (pass through, audio delay off, auto..) nothing fixes the lip sync issues with audio set to "auto" or "pass through" and there is no negative audio delay ...

The bottom line - The issue is not fixed in the latest firmware version.

0 Likes
Mbpe300
Enthusiast - Level 2

Samsung Q7F (frame rate set to auto)

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok....let's see if we can delay the video by making your TV do some processing. Turn on any video processing you can, to its lowest setting like noise reduction, motion processing, almost anything related to video that can be set to a minimum value. Also did you try a factory reset of the TV? Or try unplugging the fios box and TV, unplug all HDMI cables, let everything sit for 5 minutes. Plug in the system and reconnect devices 1 at a time.

Mbpe300
Enthusiast - Level 2

And why would I do that? 🙄

Why should I turn any video processing that I don't want to use just to fix a bug in the Fios box???

There is no point to factory reset the TV as other devices connected to the same TV have no lip sync issues.

Yes, I did try disconnecting the Fios box, switching cables, connecting to different outputs, etc, etc and the bottom line is that nothing resolves the lips sync issue as the Dolby Digital audio stream coming out of the box delayed behind the video.

This a major issue and makes all the customers to make a choice between:

• Watching the TV with surround sound but also with an annoying lip sync.

OR

• Watching the TV only in stereo even if they have a surround sound home theater setup and the channel broadcasts in Dolby Digital.

And honestly, in 2020, both options are not a reasonable compromise and Dolby Digital audio without lip sync should be a standard.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is something with your TV and the Fios box that isn't right. I'm basically at the point of throwing the kitchen sink at the problem because in case you didn't notice,  you are in the overwhelming minority that has seen audio lag from this box. I had one almost since the day they were first released,  and NEVER had the audio issue you are having. I used it with 4 different TVs, 2 different receivers, and numerous bluray players and didn't have this issue. And dont try to say I'm not sensitive enough to it as I worked in the TV production industry for 20 years. Look at this article about a different Samsung model that exhibited the same issue you are having with your TV. It might help, but I seriously doubt the issue is solely the responsibility of the Fios box alone. If so this forum would be flooded with others with the same issue. I suggested a factory reset because perhaps your TV has corrupted the edid information for the fios box in its memory and needs to flush and reset the data. Did you try the Fios box with another TV? Did you try another Fios box? Read this:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV/UE40KU6400U-TV-s-sound-and-picture-are-not-in-sync/td-p/18144...

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/4k-8k-and-Other-TVs/HELP-TV-Audio-LAG-Sound-Delayed-too-much-at-...

Mbpe300
Enthusiast - Level 2
  1. Definitely not in the "overwhelming minority". There are many posts here of customers having this issue but unfortunately most of the time the advice is to set an Audio Delay (intentionally or not) ignoring that the issue is the audio behind the video. The issue never gets resolved but magically those posts are marked "Resolved" and/or closed for being too old even if just a couple of months old.

You can also go to www.google.com/search?q=fios+box+lip+sync and find many posts about it on Reddit, RemoteCentral and what not.

I hope this will open your eyes that many customers have this issue.

2. The links you attached are not "articles" but forum posts and the issue there seems to be similar, just this time it's TV's hardware causing the audio delay and here we're talking about the Fios box hardware. This is exactly the case when "audio passthrough" should help but it seems like the audio passthrough is not working as intended in the Fios box.

3. Samsung TVs don't pass latency values during the EDID session so it's irrelevant to factory reset the TV.

4. Are you affiliated with Verizon Fios in some way or just a regular customer?
0 Likes