Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu

Motorola QIP 2500 Remote IR Extender

SOLVED
armond_in_nj
Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV

Motorola QIP 2500 Remote IR Extender

Message 1 of 7
(22,410 Views)

I have tried using a Verizon-supplied remote IR extender in this standard definition STB but it does not appear to be operating properly. 

My understanding is that when this device is plugged in to the rear panel of the unit, the front panel IR sensor gets disabled and only the IR extender is operational.  However in my particular case, the front IR sensor is NOT disabled, and the rear mounted IR extender itself does not receive signals.  I have tried (1) rebooting the STB several times, (2) using the online and STB repair applications, and (3) replacing the Verizon IR extender with several other cables that I know are operational.  So far, no luck.

First, is the front IR sensor SUPPOSED to become disabled as I described, and second, does it appear that the IR extender function on this particular box is faulty?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hubrisnxs
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Motorola QIP 2500 Remote IR Extender

Message 3 of 7
(22,379 Views)

I am pretty sure that the box you have is a BLASTER (motorola user guide) for controlling a vcr/dvd player/tivo etc....   instead of a remote eye extender.   

this website that sells a remote eye extender kinda confirms that it won't work on the version cable box you have for that exact reason

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PlanoMac
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 2 of 7
(22,383 Views)

I can't speak for that box, however I can tell you this. It seems all the Verizon boxes have a jack for the external IR senor but only a few have that function activated... Why you ask...I can't say and they can't either. I had the same problem and after talking to several in tech support got one who knew and said my box didn't support that function. I raise hell and they sent me another box.... Go figure!!

Richard

Hubrisnxs
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 3 of 7
(22,380 Views)

I am pretty sure that the box you have is a BLASTER (motorola user guide) for controlling a vcr/dvd player/tivo etc....   instead of a remote eye extender.   

this website that sells a remote eye extender kinda confirms that it won't work on the version cable box you have for that exact reason

armond_in_nj
Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV

Message 4 of 7
(22,357 Views)

To Plano and Hubris:

You are both quite right.  The QIP 2500 does not support an IR extender.  It happens however that an IR repeater will work with the unit and do what I want to do (the box is hidden under a desk out of view).  It also happens that the rear USB port on my QIP 2500 is active (a lucky accident?) and that IR Blaster offers a USB-powered repeater for about $18 that seems to fit the bill:

http://www.irblaster.info/usb_ir_repeater.html

USB Powered IR Repeater

Thanks to all.

Hubrisnxs
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 5 of 7
(22,336 Views)

that's a great solution, I am glad you came back to let us know, so we can share with others in the same boat.   

🙂 

Steph70
Contributor
Contributor

Message 6 of 7
(21,365 Views)

Thanks so much for your post!  Which IR extender did you buy and does it work?  Which cable box do I need to bug Verizon to send me so I can put their ugly box behind my cabinet doors?  🙂

armond_in_nj
Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV

Message 7 of 7
(21,285 Views)

@Steph70 wrote:

Thanks so much for your post!  Which IR extender did you buy and does it work?  Which cable box do I need to bug Verizon to send me so I can put their ugly box behind my cabinet doors?  🙂

You do not indicate the person to whom you are responding.  Assuming that it's me (armond_in_nj), the answer to your question is that I bought the device I described above (see included photo and web link).  You can probably use this device on any Verizon box with a USB port (e.g., 2500, 7232, etc.).  Hope this helps.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title