Multi-Hub plus external HD
legaleagle1971

With multi-hub and an external HD, will the content on the external hard drive show up on the other DVR's TV?  Does the external HD have to be connected to a "multi-room" DVR, or is that irrelevant if you have 1.9/multi-hub up and running?

Are the the 3 Western Digital hard drive models listed in Verizon's FAQ's the only ones you can use?  What's the word on using a 2 or 3 TB HD?   

0 Likes
Re: Multi-Hub plus external HD
EricN1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi, in regards to your last question the way I read it is that you can use devices other than the recommended ones...

Do I need a special eSATA device or is any eSATA device compatible with FiOS TV?
You do not need a special eSATA external storage device however Verizon recommends a particular manufacturer's make and models for use with FiOS TV.

Does the eSATA device I use require a minimum or maximum storage limit for FiOS TV?
There are no minimum or maximum storage limits for FiOS TV. However, Verizon recommends the following model types:

• Western Digital -  WDBACS5000EBK-NEVZ - 500GB
  • Western Digital - WDBACS0010HBK-NEVZ - 1TB
  • Western Digital - WDBABT0010HBK-NESN - 1TB
0 Likes
EricN1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'll know soon in a few days.  I hooked up an external drive to my DVR but had to use USB as I didn't have an eSATA cable.  It is not recognized as a result.  I have an eSATA cable on order and will hook it up to see if we can view content from the external drive on other STBs and DVRs.

If anyone can in the meantime answer this definitely great, otherwise I will find out and post in a few days.

0 Likes
EricN1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I received my eSATA cable and connected my external drive.  Hit record on a show and can watch it on other DVR and any STB.  Awesome! 🙂

0 Likes
WillieFromTX
Enthusiast - Level 2

I currently have a DVR with 500GB internal storage. If I add a 1TB external eSATA drive, will it use both devices, for a total of 1.5TB? Is ther a way to control where the recording go, internal/external?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@WillieFromTX wrote:

I currently have a DVR with 500GB internal storage. If I add a 1TB external eSATA drive, will it use both devices, for a total of 1.5TB? Is ther a way to control where the recording go, internal/external?

Yes you will have 1.5 TB available, and no, you cannot control where the recordings go, they automatically go to the external drive until there is insufficient space and then the recording will be done on the internal drive.

Just some things to keep in mind when using an external drive:

1) The drive is "married" to the specific DVR. If you replace the DVR the recordings on the external drive will be lost.

2) You can remove the external drive from the DVR any time you want, and reconnect it any time you want. But if you connect it to another DVR or a PC the drive will be formatted and recordings will be lost.

3) There is no facility that I am aware of to copy recordings from the external drive, or to it.

4) Just like the internal drive on the DVR without an external drive connected, the external drive will be kept busy recording by the DVR, even when you "turn it off." This is because the DVR buffers the channels the two tuners re receiving, or because you are purposely recording a program. Some people have experienced a fair amount of noise from the particular drive they have attached, others have said the WD drives are very quiet. I do not have an external drive so I cannot verify the noise issue.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes