Multiroom DVR question
Bill1113
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have two HD boxes one is set up as a multiroom DVR. I have no issues seeing shows on the HD box I have recorded on the DVR but I cannot record shows from the HD box. I originally ordered two DVR boxes however the install tech said I only needed one DVR and one HD box and set it up as a multiroom DVR. I have purchased the multiroom package. Is it possible to pause live TV on the non DVR box? Is it possible to record shows/movies from the non DVR box?

If so how???

Thanks

Bill1113

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Multiroom DVR question
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. 

You can "watch" shows recorded on the Home DVR box from any other HD box in the house (and pause/rewind them), but you can not pause/rewind live TV from the regular HD box and you can not schedule a recording from the regular HD box.

The pause/rewind function comes with the DVR itself (since it's using the hard drive inside to buffer) and a regular HD box of course has no hard drive in it.

The set a recording function is something that I imagine they could make function (it would record on the main Home DVR box, not on the HD box obviously), but that functionality is not there today.

If you only have two STB's total, you would probably be better off having two DVR's (if my math is right, it's about the same cost per month) instead of the Home DVR.   Of course you'd give up being able to record in one room and watch in another, but you'd gain the ability to potentially record 4 shows at once.

View solution in original post

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. 

You can "watch" shows recorded on the Home DVR box from any other HD box in the house (and pause/rewind them), but you can not pause/rewind live TV from the regular HD box and you can not schedule a recording from the regular HD box.

The pause/rewind function comes with the DVR itself (since it's using the hard drive inside to buffer) and a regular HD box of course has no hard drive in it.

The set a recording function is something that I imagine they could make function (it would record on the main Home DVR box, not on the HD box obviously), but that functionality is not there today.

If you only have two STB's total, you would probably be better off having two DVR's (if my math is right, it's about the same cost per month) instead of the Home DVR.   Of course you'd give up being able to record in one room and watch in another, but you'd gain the ability to potentially record 4 shows at once.

Bill1113
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had this discussion with the installer when I was having my Fios installed and the information he gave me was wrong. I had originally ordered two DVR's and he said why would you want to do that when you could have a multiroom DVR its the same thing and it'll save you 5 dollars a month. He failed to mention that i couldnt record in the second room. How is that the same thing? It was driving me nuts trying to figure out why it wasn't working. and i guess that explains it... it's not supposed to work. If I could record off of the internet and some people off ot there cell phone why can't i record from the other room guess that just makes too much sense then you could call it a multiroom DVR?

Multiroom Digital Video Recorder means you cant Digitally Record from Multirooms... hmmm confusing maybe even misleading. But I can pause it in one room and finish it in another. Oh Yeah but not pause it in another and finish it in one room.

0 Likes