New to fios - HD soft looking and remote question
Rev2010
Just got FIOS installed yesterday. I'm an IT Tech for a living so I've gone through a bunch of settings and options and not matter what the HD picture looks about 10% or more softer than the picture I had with Optimum. I have a 52" 1080 lcd. I've tried hdmi and composite, I've made sure the box is set to 1080i, I've raised the boxes sharpness setting to max, etc. Where should I go from here?

Also, the remote... With both the FIOS one and my logitech harmony if I'm watching a channel and hit the UP arrow to see what's on the next channel it goes down and vice versa. Why do the arrow keys work opposite?? Never did this on optimum. In case I'm not clear enough... If I scroll down with the arrow keys it scrolls up in the channel list - 800, 801, 802, etc. If I scroll up with the up arrow it goes 800, 799, 798, etc.

Rev.
0 Likes
Re: New to fios - HD soft looking and remote question
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

Just a friendly reminder, this is a forum where users help other users. It looks like your issue may require a Verizon representative to review your account details. Please contact our customer service team via live chat or email at: http://www22.verizon.com/content/contactus/

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@Rev2010 wrote:
Just got FIOS installed yesterday. I'm an IT Tech for a living so I've gone through a bunch of settings and options and not matter what the HD picture looks about 10% or more softer than the picture I had with Optimum. I have a 52" 1080 lcd. I've tried hdmi and composite, I've made sure the box is set to 1080i, I've raised the boxes sharpness setting to max, etc. Where should I go from here?

Also, the remote... With both the FIOS one and my logitech harmony if I'm watching a channel and hit the UP arrow to see what's on the next channel it goes down and vice versa. Why do the arrow keys work opposite?? Never did this on optimum. In case I'm not clear enough... If I scroll down with the arrow keys it scrolls up in the channel list - 800, 801, 802, etc. If I scroll up with the up arrow it goes 800, 799, 798, etc.

Rev.

If you think you're viewing HD channels using a composite connection then you're seeing an SD version of that channel.  Composite is only SD.  The sharpness setting only applies to SD signals. Have you reset the settings on the TV itself?  They probably will need to be different from your old provider since the signals are not precisely the same.  Also, make sure your SD override is set to off.

The guide scrolls as it is shown on the screen, which is a lower channel number above a higher channel number.  The "next" channel you expect to see may be higher in number but below the current item on the guide, and that's the way it scrolls -- down the guide, not up it.  Up shows a lower channel in the guide.

Rev2010
@ornaph - I'm just asking a question as to what else I might try before wasting hours of my life on the phone being g asked to do the usual silliness.

@pjl - sorry, I meant I tried hdmi and component cables, not composite. Was posting quickly from my phone. As mentioned, I'm an IT Tech for a living so I'm way past the usual noob mistakes.

Rev.
0 Likes
Rev2010
Oh, and yeah I noticed the way the Verizon menu scrolling structure is and I did see that it scrolls down graphically so that is indeed why it goes that way.

Rev.
0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@Rev2010 wrote:
@PJL - sorry, I meant I tried hdmi and component cables, not composite. Was posting quickly from my phone. As mentioned, I'm an IT Tech for a living so I'm way past the usual noob mistakes.

Rev.

Have you tried the other things I suggested? 

0 Likes
Rev2010

Thanks for the suggestions, I didn't know the sharpness only worked for SD. I did not reset the TV because it is fully calibrated and I do not want to have to deal with all the setup again. Plus, the picture is perfect with my XBox with HD DVD player and PS3 as it was also fine with Optimum.

Rev.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Sharpness is really a lousy control.  Not sure how it works on Verizon's STB but apparently only on SD signals.  But certainly on my TV's the less sharpness the better the picture looks.  Sharpnesss is adding unnecessary info to the picture which loses real detail and softer looking (so much for sharpness).  Some really stange distortions may in fact be added.

You may well be better to go the the hidden menu on Motorola and setting native video.  I.e.  Watch 1080i channels at 1080i, 720p at 720p and sd at either 480i or 480p.  I believe someone said the Cisco boxes can set this without the hidden menu, but I never seen a Cisco box.

ps:  You mention setup on your TV, but most TV's use seperate settings for each input, so you may want to look at that setup, and make sure its the same as for your other inputs.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@Rev2010 wrote:

...Plus, the picture is perfect with my XBox with HD DVD player and PS3 as it was also fine with Optimum.

Rev.

You might try setting the STB color space to YCC 4:4:4 (an enhanced setting) versus RGB.  This is in the hidden settings.  If you have a 7000 series STB: 

- Make sure the STB is not recording something

- Then on the STB itself turn it off and IMMEDIATELY press "OK" on the left side, then "menu" using the remote.  You should see a configuration screen. 

- Use the remote down arrow to move to the Additional HDMI Settings item, then press "OK" on the remote.  The color space settings is there. 

- Be sure to return to the main menu and then exit.  Your STB should turn off and then can be turned on normally. 

Also, I found that recalibrating the TV is very important when switching providers.  For example, because of the fact that FiOS does not compress feeds to put more on a given QAM channel, I was able to increase the sharpness to almost 100 percent.  For contrast and brightness (which may be giving you that "soft" look) the same applied (not 100 percent, but different) -- and the picture quality improved greatly from other services, even OTA (mainly because of the increased . So, respesctfully, if you haven't tried to re-calibrate the settings for FiOS, then I think you've missed and opportunity.  For my TV, each input keeps the settings for its input.  If you can move the HDMI for the FiOS STB to another HDMI input, you can keep the original settings on the original HDMI input.

0 Likes
Rev2010
Thanks guys, I'll try messing with the settings for the FIOS input and if that doesn't help will try the hidden menus, thanks again!

Rev.
0 Likes