No HDMI, Replaced cords and cable box.
yus21
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

My Westington tv turned off suddenly yesterday and gave the message, no hdmi. Verizon sent a new cable box which did not help. I called again and they said I need to select the hdmi option from the tv. I don't have the remove for the tv but used the tv side panel buttons to select hdmi. Verizon said I'm not actually selecting it, it's just being highlighted but not actually selected - huh?

We use the xbox and the power cable stopped working too. I got a new one, but having the same problems. It turns on for a few seconds then turns off on its own.

I'm trying to get someone to come out because I don't know what else to do.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: No HDMI, Replaced cords and cable box.
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Both Clem53 & I suspect that the television is the cause of the trouble.

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@yus21 wrote:

Hi,

My Westington tv turned off suddenly yesterday and gave the message, no hdmi. Verizon sent a new cable box which did not help. I called again and they said I need to select the hdmi option from the tv. I don't have the remove for the tv but used the tv side panel buttons to select hdmi. Verizon said I'm not actually selecting it, it's just being highlighted but not actually selected - huh?

We use the xbox and the power cable stopped working too. I got a new one, but having the same problems. It turns on for a few seconds then turns off on its own.

I'm trying to get someone to come out because I don't know what else to do.

So both the Fios box and the X-box stopped working at the same time? Did you try programming the Fios remote to control your TV? Sounds like a problem with the TV if both HDMI sources are not working. Did you try changing the input on the TV for the Fios box? Unplug the power for the Fios box, Unplug power for the TV, then unplug the HDMI cable going from the Fios box to the TV. After at least 3 minutes power the TV up, then the Fios box then plug the HDMI from the Fios box to the TV back in. Once you select that input on the TV you should have a picture.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm a bit unclear on the description of the trouble.

Your Westinghouse television stopped seeing the signal to the HDMI jack.

Verizon sent a new box, but that didn't resolve the problem.

You also have an Xbox and the TV doesn't see it.

Using on board buttons, the HDMI input is selected, but, that doesn't fix the problem.

If this is accurate, is it possible that the television is malfunctioning? Three different devices (two STBs and an Xbox) are not being detected by the television.

yus21
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, that is an accurate description of the problem.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Both Clem53 & I suspect that the television is the cause of the trouble.

yus21
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

Thank you. The fios remote was already programmed to work with the tv. Is there something else I should try with the remote at this point, if it was already working with it before the tv went out?

I have cycled through all the input options using the tv side panel buttons and all are not detected.

I am trying what you suggested. But there is no hdmi going from fios box to tv. The hdmi cords go from fios box to xbox, and another one goes from xbox to the tv. I tried unplugging power from fios box, tv, and xbox, then unplugging both of the hdmi cords at both end and waiting 3 minutes. I turned the tv on, on the hdmi input and still go "hdmi no signal".

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Plug the HDMI cable from the fios box directly into the TV.  Take the XBOX out of the signal path.  This will tell you if you have a problem with the XBOX.

The key is to test as few components at a time as possible. Start with the simple stuff, like making sure power is plugged in and HDMI cable are seated.  You'd be amazed how often issues turn out to be simple problems because people focus on the most complex things first.  If a test works, add more stuff back in the signal loop until you see what causes the failure.  Make sure  you try different cables, too, as sometimes they fail.

yus21
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, gs0b:

I just tried this. I followed prompts for programming of the remote for the tv. Then on the tv screen it said "signal was detected and an automatic switch to hdmi was made". Then the "hdmi no signal" message appeared on the tv screen. Then the screen flashed white several times, the verizon logo came on and the screen said "please wait", and then it said "press any key to watch tv". Then the programming page came up again, so I went through that cycle once more. The channel I went to was "not available", so it was checking for black outs (there are none), and the screen said to tighten the coax cable on the back of the set top box. It was already very secure upon checking. It tried reauthorizing teh channel with no luck, and is now telling me to reboot the set top box. I pressed the prompt for that, and the "hdmi no signal" flashed on the tv screen. The verizone please wait screen came up --> press any key to watch tv. I did this, and lo and behold the tv finally came on!! Whew. Thanks for your help with this. Now, I'm not sure what's going on with the xbox. But I figure I will reconnect that and see if it works still. If not, maybe the xbox itself has malfunctioned or completely died. Any advice how to proceed next? Wish I could tell for sure what's going on with the xbox.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

How many HDMI inputs does your TV have?

Does the TV auto sense signals on various inputs and try to switch to the "right" one?  If so, that can add to the confusion.  See if you can find an option in the TV's menu to turn this "feature" off.

XBOXs do support HDMI signal pass-through, however there can be issues with it.  From your OP, it sounds like the XBOX's power supply is malfunctioning, which will absolutely cause problems with HDMI pass-through.

If your TV has multiple HDMI inputs, the best solution is to put the XBOX and the fios box on different inputs and then choose which one you want to watch using the TV's remote.

yus21
Enthusiast - Level 2

The TV only has one HDMI input. 

I did replace the power supply (power bricks) twice yesterday and neither has solved the issue. 

Currently, with the xbox totally disconnected from TV/cable box, I turned on the xbox and it's doing the same  thing even with new power brick - stays on for 20 seconds while beeping, while power brick shows a green light, then shuts down and light goes back to orange.

I went to the TV's menu and turned "autosource" off. I'm guessing that it what you are talking about, but it's still shutting off.

Too bad there are not more HDMI inputs to use.

0 Likes