On Demand isn't working with own router
Rambo_nyc

I have fios and I had their router, but I brought my own router.
EVERYTHING works except my on demand.
I called them and told them my on demand isnt working and they said because their router has a certain firmware that allows everything to work.

If I use a 3rd party router or any router thats not a verizon router certain features wont work.

(Like my on demand)

They said that once verizon does an update, i wont be able to use dvr or on demand or even the guide

So my question to you, is it possible or is there anything I can do to make it work fully (on Demand, etc…)

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: On Demand isn't working with own router
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry for the delay. So from your ONT there should be a coax going to a main splitter. Then the outs will go to the STBs and FNA. Ethernet from ONT will go to the Archer WAN port. Then one of the Archer’s LAN ports will connect to one of the four FNA ethernet ports. I has the same adapter so it will definitely work. Verizon just doesn’t support this configuration which is why they say it doesn’t work. I’ll draw diagram and post it shortly. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes. I have my own router and On Demand and Guide works fine. 

Setup is for ethernet >

ONT > Ubiquiti Edge router > 16 port switch > MoCA adapter (ECB5240M)

Setup for coax...

ONT > 8 port cable splitter > 1 feed to VMS1100 and 1 feed to MoCA adapter (ECB5240M)

Rambo_nyc

Do I have to use the Ubiquiti Edge router switch  or can I use any router switch?

I have 2 different switches at the job that I can use thats just sitting there.

And as far as the moca  do I have to use MoCA adapter ECB5240M That 1 is very expensive

can I use 1 of these 

Actiontec Ethernet To Coax Adapter for Homes with Cable TV Service ECB2500C

goCoax MoCA Adapter, MoCA 2.5, 2.5Gbps Ethernet Over Coax, 1xGbE Port, White(WF-803M) Actiontec/TiVo MOCA Adapter for Ethernet Over Coax, 1 Gbps Bonded 2.0 MoCA Adapter ECB6200

and Do I have to use a 8 port slitter?

Can I use a 3 or 4 port cable splitter?

and you said  1 feed to VMS1100 and 1 feed to MoCA adapter ECB5240M

What is the VMS1100?

Sorry for all the questions...Im new to this stuff.

So I need  these 3 or 4 items?

1: router switch

2: Mocha adapter

3: Cable Splitter

4: And a Vms1100

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Any router should work fine. I use a basic unmanaged Dlink switch. You don’t necessarily need a switch. I have more than four ethernet connections which is why I have the switch. If you get the FiOS Network Adapter(FNA ECB5240M) from Verizon it is only $55. Both MoCA adapters you linked will be fine as well. 
You can use any size splitter. Mine is just an 8 port because I have runs from my basement to all the rooms in the house.

The VMS1100 is the model of the Verizon DVR that is have. The new FiOS TV One is the VMS4100. 
So basically you’ll need a router, MoCA adapter, and cable splitter. The switch is only needed if you’ll have more than four ethernet connections which is the standard on most routers. 
What equipment do you have and what is your planned setup?

Rambo_nyc

Thanks for the quick response

I have 3 set top boxes (1 dvr and 2 regular boxes)

I have a  TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router - Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Internet Router (Archer A7)

My set top box is Model # QIP7232/A386/014/500

So I am going to order the FiOS Network AdapterFNA ECB5240M from Verizon.

I see it is only $55.

So all I need it that Fios adapter

a cable splitter

and 

a router, then I should be good?  Correct?

All I need to do is put the coaxial cable in the Fios network adapter, then plug the ethernet cord from the ont into the Fios adapter, Then take the other ethernet cable and plug it into the router?

Where does the splitter come in.

Or did I do this wrong?  lol

0 Likes
Rambo4nyc
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had to make a new screen name, but I have the same question

So I purchased the Fios Network Adapter.

This is my set up.

The coax cable from the wall  I plugged into the 2 way splitter.

1 end went into the Fios Network Adapter and 1 end went into the ONT box.

Then I took The ethernet cable from the Fios Network Adapter and plugged that into the Archer Router...Not a verizon Router....

NOW

The Internet works fine...As it did before...

BUT

My On Demand and My guide, etc... is NOT working.

I called verizon and asked the tech to enable my data port on my ONT.

He said it was enabled already.

Then he said NO ONE can use their own router with Fios.

because THEIR router has a firmware that allows On demand, guide, etc...to work.

EVERY video i found online about this problem is OLD...... Maybe 2 or 3yrs old and not updated.  I tried to email the people who made the video and of course their account is there but not active.

So am I missing something?

Did I set this up wrong?

Do I have the right Verizon  Fios Network Adapter?

This particular 1 has 1 coax input and 4 ethernet outputs.

Should i get a moca adapter that has 2 coax lines?  1 for input and 1 for output

Should I just get a regular Moca Adapter?

I see other people are reading this. ANY updated help is greatly appreciated.

Its not fair to keep paying verizon a monthly fee  to be forced to use their router.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry for the delay. So from your ONT there should be a coax going to a main splitter. Then the outs will go to the STBs and FNA. Ethernet from ONT will go to the Archer WAN port. Then one of the Archer’s LAN ports will connect to one of the four FNA ethernet ports. I has the same adapter so it will definitely work. Verizon just doesn’t support this configuration which is why they say it doesn’t work. I’ll draw diagram and post it shortly. 

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here is a diagram 

Rambo4nyc
Enthusiast - Level 1

Bro, Ypu are the FREAKIN MAN

My Girlfriend is Ecstatic 

If you were close, I would buy you a drink.

THANKS

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Awesome. Glad you got it working.