please help tv one mini setup
yak600
Enthusiast - Level 2

just got the tv one and minis. also the g3100 router. i am currently using my own router and would like to keep it that way. i have the main tv one box setup and working fine. the tv mini was installed and working but disconnected to try to setup with my router. i have ethernet from ont going to my router. coax going to the old verizon actiontec router. the tv one main box is hooked up with moca adapter. i can get in the diag menu on the tv mini but not sure how to add or search for my wifi/router. can the tv mini work with a non verizon router. any setup ideas?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: please help tv one mini setup
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@yak600 wrote:

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I guess I don't really understand this stuff and just keep trying things until it works. I tried verizon support last night and he told me there is no way to set up the minis accept with wifi. I asked why do they put ethernet port and coax connector on there. He said I understand but they can only be hooked up wirelessly to verizon router. So I have a coax cable in the bedroom that goes to moca adapter (motorola m1000). Ran ethernet from that to tv one mini and it finally worked. Before that i tried coax directly to the mini and no worky. 

For my moca setup i use the motorola m1000. It might be overkill with this setup but I kept trying things until it worked. I have ethernet coming in downstairs from ONT to my router. The old coax that went to the verizon router goes to a moca adapter. Then i have ethernet going from my router to moca adapter. Upstairs from the wall i have coax going to a splitter. i didn't put that on diagram but im pretty sure i used a splitter with the outlets going to stb and then another moca adapter. my wife has to have wired connection for work.image

The agent you spoke to was mistaken. The BEST way to hook up a mini is via a wired connection, either coax or ethernet. Wifi is the last resort, and frequently results in dropouts and no connection errors. If you need wifi for your mini, the best way to connect is to use a wifi extender wired to the mini. As far as the rest of your system goes, you just have to make sure your splitter is MoCa 2.0 certified. If you can do a direct ethernet connection from your router to your wife's laptop she'll have a much faster connection if you have gig speed internet as MoCa can only support 400mps max.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Make sure the mini and main server are all connected and activated fully with the G3100. Afterwards it would just be ethernet from the ONT to your router. The MoCA adapter will connect to the coax and LAN port of your router. I'm not sure why you are still using the Actiontec at all. 

A side note the Actiontec isn't compatible with the mini's. You need a MoCA adapter that is MoCA 2.0 and the Actiontec is 1.1 version. Are you connecting the mini's via wifi(not recommended) or with coax?

yak600
Enthusiast - Level 2

thanks for the reply. the plan is to hook the minis up via wifi.

on a side note i had issues getting moca to work for the stb. the solution i found was a moca adapter at the stb and one hooked to coax coming into the house. or in this case i used the actiontec. not sure if there is  a better or easier setup for moca that will work?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You only need one MoCA adapter in place to create the MoCA network. I have mine with my router/switch. From the ONT you will have ethernet going to you router WAN port. Then coax from ONT will go to a splitter in port. The outs will go to the stb and MoCA adapter. Also the LAN of your router will go to the MoCA adapter. I’ll add a diagram. 
Also what MoCA adapter do you have? Is it is the same place as you main stb? If it’s the one with the TV OUT port that can’t go to the stb. That port only goes to 1000 MHz so MoCA LAN at 1150 MHz doesn’t go through. You need a two-port splitter first. One out to the adapter and one to the stb. 
As far as hooking up the mini I would recommend coax or ethernet. But if you have to hook it up via wifi you have to hit power ok ok to get to the diagnostic screen then hit left arrow and you’ll be at the main menu then go to network configuration then you’ll be able to manually connect to the wifi. Just keeping mind the mini will only connect to the 5 GHz band so the Actiontec router won’t work as it is only 2.4 wireless N. 

yak600
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I guess I don't really understand this stuff and just keep trying things until it works. I tried verizon support last night and he told me there is no way to set up the minis accept with wifi. I asked why do they put ethernet port and coax connector on there. He said I understand but they can only be hooked up wirelessly to verizon router. So I have a coax cable in the bedroom that goes to moca adapter (motorola m1000). Ran ethernet from that to tv one mini and it finally worked. Before that i tried coax directly to the mini and no worky. 

For my moca setup i use the motorola m1000. It might be overkill with this setup but I kept trying things until it worked. I have ethernet coming in downstairs from ONT to my router. The old coax that went to the verizon router goes to a moca adapter. Then i have ethernet going from my router to moca adapter. Upstairs from the wall i have coax going to a splitter. i didn't put that on diagram but im pretty sure i used a splitter with the outlets going to stb and then another moca adapter. my wife has to have wired connection for work.image

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@yak600 wrote:

The agent you spoke to was mistaken. The BEST way to hook up a mini is via a wired connection, either coax or ethernet. Wifi is the last resort, and frequently results in dropouts and no connection errors. If you need wifi for your mini, the best way to connect is to use a wifi extender wired to the mini. As far as the rest of your system goes, you just have to make sure your splitter is MoCa 2.0 certified. If you can do a direct ethernet connection from your router to your wife's laptop she'll have a much faster connection if you have gig speed internet as MoCa can only support 400mps max.