Quantum DVR hosed after critical update was applied
drewmcdan1

I got a message on Wednesday night that a critical patch needed to be applied within the next 3 minutes to the Quantum VMS/DVR.  I let the box apply it.  Didn't notice any issues, until last night, when I went to look at a recorded program on the DVR.  First the capacity used went from around 50% to 8%, but when I went to view a program, I got an error that it could not access the program.  The only way to escape from the error was to power doen the box.  It did not matter whether the program was saved before or after the update was appllied.  I spent about 45 minutes last night with a Verizon tech via a PC chat and he sent several signals to the box.  The only change was the box was now at 0% of capacity, but still could not view a recorded program.  Appears the only solution is to replace the box.  Of course, Verizon graciously offered to do the replacement at no charge. But what about all of the monthly DVR fess I paid to capture programs since April that are now gone?

A couple of questions:

1)  Anybody else experieince this?

2)  If they did, where they able to fix it, without a replacement?

3)  Sort of off topic, but does anyone have any comments on using a small form Windows PC with a Cable Card, to replicate the functionality of the DVR.   I would switch the PC/Cablecard to another TV, and move the HD set top box to where the DVR was, so I could still get the on the demand stuff.   Would use DLNA or Plex to get the shows to the other TVs.  I was hoping Verizon would offer DVR viewing over the IPAD, but that has been a pipe dream, and after this experience, I'm looking to spend as little as possible with Verizon. 

0 Likes
Re: Quantum DVR hosed after critical update was applied
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Couple of comments:

1) Have you tried the FIx DVR option under Menu Support Tools? Unlikely to work as I would assume that it would be similar to what support did.

2) DVR should never be anticipated to be long term storage. If it fails, you lose everything you have. In this case it may be software enduced, but hardware fails.

3) There are a number of people that use CableCards with Windows PCs. Keeop in mind that with cable cards, you lose VOD. To some people not an issue, but is for others.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

CRob....do you have any insight into the message the OP got, the one annoucing a critical update that had to be applied wihin 3 minutes?

That sounds pretty fishy to me...as in some sort of malware attack.  I've never heard of anything like that happening to a DVR but that message and then the damage the update seems to have done....very strange 

What do you think?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I beleive it was similar to the message others have gotten when there is an update.

Some folks have gotten either the 3.0 update or a precursor to it.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Hmmmm....I've seen a message saying an update's available, but a critical update that has to be applied within 3 minutes?

I guess anything's possible but that still sounds strange to me.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I saw a post on dslreports.com forum that someone else saw the same message.

0 Likes