"Set Reminder" inoperative after DVR recording
RJMacReady
Enthusiast - Level 3
Hello All,  I set the DVR via the website to record a movie. It worked fine, after stopping movie, and saving it for later, I exited the DVR menus. When I try to use the "Set Reminder" function in the TV Listings, a dialog box pops up asking me if I want to "record show, upcoming shows, exit".   I rebooted the STB w/no results. This is happening on the DVR STB box itself, not on one of the either two HD STB's I have. I searched the Forums and Help extensively, and found null. I have yet to try any of the other STBs, and have not rebooted the router either. Ideas?   Thanks In Advance,  RJMac
0 Likes
Re: "Set Reminder" inoperative after DVR recording
Keyboards
Master - Level 3
DVRs do not have reminders - only the option  to record.  There are several threads here about his issue and it's possible Verizon will add this feature in some future update, but it has not been promised as a feature.
Message Edited by Keyboards on 08-02-2009 08:43 PM
RJMacReady
Enthusiast - Level 3
Hello. Perhaps I am not being clear enough. I would not expect the DVR to have a Set Reminder function. After I watched part of the movie I recorded, I exited the DVR menus. Went back to watching live TV. Later that day, I saw a program in the Guide I wanted to use the "Set Reminder" function on. I tried it, and instead of asking me to confirm I wanted to set the reminder, the dialog box asks me if I want to RECORD the show. I don't want to do that. It is like the DVR is active in the background, and over rides the normal Guide functions. Does that help clarify my quandary? I powered down the router last night, and today it is doing the same thing. In all 3 rooms too, not just the room with the DVR. Thanks, RJM
0 Likes
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3
What "Set Reminder" function?  As the previous answer stated, FIOS does not offer a "Set Reminder" function of any kind.
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

I saw a program in the Guide I wanted to use the "Set Reminder" function on. I tried it, and instead of asking me to confirm I wanted to set the reminder, the dialog box asks me if I want to RECORD the show. I don't want to do that.

As keyboards said, the "set reminder" funtion does not work with a DVR. On a DVR, you can only RECORD.

Set remider works fine but only on non-DVR's

Message Edited by spacedebris on 08-03-2009 02:38 PM
0 Likes
RJMacReady
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey Capn---- In the Guide, right arrow key to a program you want to see later. Once the program is in the active dialog box, hit OK. It will ask you if you want to Set Reminder, Upcoming Airings (something like that, I am not near my TV) or Exit. A few minutes before the program you set the reminder for is to begin, you get a dialog box popping up asking you if you want to go there or dismiss the reminder. This was working on my two HD STBs fine, I wasn't sure at first if the HD DVR had this option.

My problem occurred after I recorded a program, the 2 HD STB's were acting like the DVR asking me if I wanted to record the show when I tried to set a reminder. It was as though the DVR somehow had control over the other two STBs. I finally went around and unplugged all three of the STBs, even disconnected the coax from the router. After rebooting everything, everything is back to as it should be. I can schedule recordings on the DVR, and Set Reminders on my other two STBs.

I really don't need an explanation as long as everything is working as it should. The FiOS increased bandwidth compared to Dish Network is blatantly obvious when I compare the soundtracks from a movie like Hellboy II. The FiOS presentation's audio is much more like my Sony BluRay player, it blows away the sound on the Dish HD service. So, I am happy.   MacReady

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@RJMacReady wrote:

Hey Capn---- In the Guide, right arrow key to a program you want to see later. Once the program is in the active dialog box, hit OK. It will ask you if you want to Set Reminder, Upcoming Airings (something like that, I am not near my TV) or Exit.

Not on my FiOS 6416 DVR. Following your steps, I get:

Record Episode

Record Series

Record Series with Options

Upcoming Shows

Exit

Nothing else. And I am pretty sure that is what everybody sees, except you I guess, or at least is supposed to see.

This is strange. Are you by chance trying to do this from a non-DVR STB using the Multi-Room feature? If so, I am pretty sure you are not actually communicating with the DVR, you are just running the local STBs guide dialog, and that does include a reminder function. Possible? Just a thought...  

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes