Remote DVR question
paythesnuka

Does anyone know what the exclamation point icon is in when it appears next to the name of a program that is sceduled to record? I think it may be some kind of conflict warning, but the shows listed to record today are:

Hell's Kitchen 8 p.m.-9 p.m.

America's Got Talent 9:00 p.m.-10 p.m.

Big Brother 11 9:01 p.m. - 10 p.m.

Big Brother has the icon next to it (and every other future recording of the show).

Called Verizon customer service and they couldn't give me an answer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Remote DVR question
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@paythesnuka wrote:

Does anyone know what the exclamation point icon is in when it appears next to the name of a program that is sceduled to record? I think it may be some kind of conflict warning, but the shows listed to record today are:

Big Brother has the icon next to it (and every other future recording of the show).

actually the problem is that on tuner 1 you have a program ending at 9p  on tuner 2 you have a program starting at 9p. This has no conflict

but on tuner 1 you have another program starting at 9p. so for 1 minute you dont have a tuner available. for the minute 9p to 9p59 seconds you have 3 programs in that 1 minute spot. So what the ! symbol is telling you is that that program has a slight conflict. So it is recommending that you start that recording 1 minute later at 9:01p

To fix this conflict you can do one of two things. either go into your series manager and change Hell's kitchen to end one minute early or go in and set Big Brother to start one minute late. Either option will solve the issue.

Message Edited by spacedebris on 08-05-2009 10:52 AM

View solution in original post

prisaz
Legend

@paythesnuka wrote:

There is a conflict with

Trying to record at the same time. You can record one and the currently viewed show. There are only two tuners so you can not record two different shows and view a third. To the best of my knowledge you can not schedule recording two shows a the same time. I think you can schedule a recording, and record the show currently being viewed. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3
It can also appear if the recording you scheduled changes in the guide.  Sometimes the the start or end time is changed by a minute or two or the show was incorrectly listed to begin with and has been dropped from the guide (have had this happen).  This is in addition to the attempt to record more than 2 shows at once.
0 Likes
paythesnuka

@prisaz wrote:

There is a conflict with

Trying to record at the same time. You can record one and the currently viewed show. There are only two tuners so you can not record two different shows and view a third. To the best of my knowledge you can not schedule recording two shows a the same time. I think you can schedule a recording, and record the show currently being viewed. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for your reply. I thought it may be a conflict, so I deleted the recording of America's Got Talent (I can watch that on demand later in the week) and the exclamation point icon disappeared.
 But if the DVR is turned off, shouldn't I be able to record both programs at the same time? Or do I need to turn the DVR to the channel of one of those programs before turning it off?
For example, if I leave my DVR on channel 5 when I turn it off, and America's Got Talent is on Channel 4 and Big Brother is on Channel 2, there becomes a conflict? If I leave the DVR on Channel 4, is there no conflict?

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@paythesnuka wrote:

@prisaz wrote:

There is a conflict with

Thanks for your reply. I thought it may be a conflict, so I deleted the recording of America's Got Talent (I can watch that on demand later in the week) and the exclamation point icon disappeared.
 But if the DVR is turned off, shouldn't I be able to record both programs at the same time? Or do I need to turn the DVR to the channel of one of those programs before turning it off?
For example, if I leave my DVR on channel 5 when I turn it off, and America's Got Talent is on Channel 4 and Big Brother is on Channel 2, there becomes a conflict? If I leave the DVR on Channel 4, is there no conflict?

Never tried it.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@paythesnuka wrote:

If the DVR is "off" (it is never truly off) it should change the tuners to record both shows.  If the DVR is "on" and you are not on one of the channels scheduled you will get a message on the screen telling you that there is a scheduled recording and do you want to switch to the recording channel.  If you don't respond it will change automatically.

EDIT: There are 2 meanings to the triangle with the exclamation.  Conflict or "removed due to deletion".  More than likely the show that was starting at 9:01PM was originally listed in the guide as starting at 9:00PM (especially if you have it as a series and only at the series listed time) hence it was  "removed due to deletion" meaning the DVR thought the program no longer existed since it wasn't in the guide at the scheduled start time of 9:00PM (just a guess).  I always scan through my scheduled recordings to make sure there isn't a scheduling issue and correct any that show the second cause of the symbol.

Message Edited by Keyboards on 08-04-2009 07:16 PM
0 Likes
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

prisaz wrote:

There is a conflict with

That is not correct.  You can always record two programs.  If you happen to be watching TV at the time, then yes, you are limited to watching one of the two programs you are recording, but you can always schedule two programs to record simultanneously.  The conflict come in when there is a 1-minute or so overlap, and the machine/software is too dumb to just cut one minute off of one of the recordings.

A related but different challenge frequently pops up when you are viewing TV and a second scheduled recording is about to start.  FIOS generates a pop-up that is very confusing, and if you are not careful, you can inadvertently cancel one of your intended recordings.

If you have two recordings going, one would think that hitting "Last" woudl simply cycle between the two stations being recorded, but the Motorola machine tries to switch you to your PREVIOUS last channel and asks you to cancel an ongoing recording.  Very annoying, but that's how they wrote the software.

0 Likes
paythesnuka

@CapnTrips wrote:

@prisaz wrote:

There is a conflict with

That is not correct.  You can always record two programs.  If you happen to be watching TV at the time, then yes, you are limited to watching one of the two programs you are recording, but you can always schedule two programs to record simultanneously.  The conflict come in when there is a 1-minute or so overlap, and the machine/software is too dumb to just cut one minute off of one of the recordings.

So, a manual change to start the recording at three minutes past the hour should fix this problem, right?

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@paythesnuka wrote:

actually the problem is that on tuner 1 you have a program ending at 9p  on tuner 2 you have a program starting at 9p. This has no conflict

but on tuner 1 you have another program starting at 9p. so for 1 minute you dont have a tuner available. for the minute 9p to 9p59 seconds you have 3 programs in that 1 minute spot. So what the ! symbol is telling you is that that program has a slight conflict. So it is recommending that you start that recording 1 minute later at 9:01p

To fix this conflict you can do one of two things. either go into your series manager and change Hell's kitchen to end one minute early or go in and set Big Brother to start one minute late. Either option will solve the issue.

Message Edited by spacedebris on 08-05-2009 10:52 AM
prisaz
Legend

@CapnTrips wrote:

@prisaz wrote:

There is a conflict with

A related but different challenge frequently pops up when you are viewing TV and a second scheduled recording is about to start.  FIOS generates a pop-up that is very confusing, and if you are not careful, you can inadvertently cancel one of your intended recordings.

If you have two recordings going, one would think that hitting "Last" woudl simply cycle between the two stations being recorded, but the Motorola machine tries to switch you to your PREVIOUS last channel and asks you to cancel an ongoing recording.  Very annoying, but that's how they wrote the software.

Thanks. Like I said correct me if i'm wrong. What I ment is that you can not schedule two programs to record and view the third while they are recording. I never schedule much anyway, can't trust the guide.Smiley Tongue

0 Likes