Remote won’t power on/off sound bar
Kipper1012

I have a Fios voice remote and I have went through the self programming steps several times and the remote will power on/off the cable box and TV and will control the volume of the sound bar but it will not power the sound bar on or off. 

any help or guidance getting this remote to power on and off the sound bar would be much appreciated 

thanks 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Remote won’t power on/off sound bar
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Kipper1012 wrote:

Ok I switched from SPIDIF to HDMI and tried reprogramming the remote, same result  grrrrrrrrrr

Sometimes when doing the manual programming you have to skip the first option that changes the volume. There are sometimes two codes for the same manufacturer that will work the volume, but not other functions. Try skipping the first one that affects the volume and see if there is a second.

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Kipper1012 wrote:

I have a Fios voice remote and I have went through the self programming steps several times and the remote will power on/off the cable box and TV and will control the volume of the sound bar but it will not power the sound bar on or off. 

any help or guidance getting this remote to power on and off the sound bar would be much appreciated 

thanks 

Is the soundbar connected via HDMI? If so make sure CEC is enabled on the TV and the TV input control is on in the Fios box video menu. You may also have to manually program the remote for your soundbar by removing its programming, then using the manual programming method instead of the auto programming method.

Kipper1012

No it is connected via SPIDIF to the tv 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Kipper1012 wrote:

No it is connected via SPIDIF to the tv 

You'll have to reprogram the remote, adding the soundbar manually as an audio device at the end. You'll be asked during manual programming if there are additional audio devices, say yes and find the brand and model of soundbar there.

• How do I control my TV or Audio using the Fios TV Voice Remote?
  • After you've paired your Fios TV Voice Remote to your set top box, HDMI connected TVs and Audio systems should automatically be detected and be controlled by your Fios TV Voice Remote.

In some cases, you may have to manually enter your specific TV and Audio equipment information. Follow these instructions to do so:

1. Go to Menu > Settings > Voice control > Fios TV Voice Remote > Program Voice Remote > Manual Setup > Press ‘ok’ to Select
    2. Select your TV or Receiver Brand and Model and follow the steps
    3. You will get a ‘success’ message in the upper right of the screen when the setup is complete.

Kipper1012

Yes I did that several times and it will only controls the volume of the sound bar , it still won’t turn the power on and off. 

ive tried inputting the model number manually and also letting the remote find the correct code. Neither one worked

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Kipper1012 wrote:

Yes I did that several times and it will only controls the volume of the sound bar , it still won’t turn the power on and off. 

ive tried inputting the model number manually and also letting the remote find the correct code. Neither one worked

That makes me wonder if the power command in the remote for the soundbar is programmed for CEC control, not a direct IR command. If it works the volume, it must be depending on CEC to turn the power on and off and you have the correct programming on the remote. Sorry I don't have a solution for you other than using HDMI.

Kipper1012

Ok I switched from SPIDIF to HDMI and tried reprogramming the remote, same result  grrrrrrrrrr

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Kipper1012 wrote:

Sometimes when doing the manual programming you have to skip the first option that changes the volume. There are sometimes two codes for the same manufacturer that will work the volume, but not other functions. Try skipping the first one that affects the volume and see if there is a second.