Series recording not recording - Madam Secretary
MPP3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Over the past 2 seasons of Madam Secretary, there have been multiple incidents where the show is simply not recorded even though:

-It is set up as a series recording (Deleted and set up multiple times)

-There is plenty of space on the DVR

-The show is marked as 'New' in the Guide and the series recording is set up with the default values (First-run, etc.)

-We have NOT exceeded the number of shows that should be kept

It is only happening with Madam Secretary.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Series recording not recording - Madam Secretary
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What model DVR do you have?

If you check under DVR - Configure/Upgrade- All activity do you see any entries for Madame Secretary?

0 Likes
starrin
Contributor - Level 3

@MPP wrote:

Over the past 2 seasons of Madam Secretary, there have been multiple incidents where the show is simply not recorded even though:  reasons cited

Have you given any thought to the fact that the program's starting time varies from week to week due the scheduling vagaries of the NFL.  Your FiOS box is not programmed to figure out what is going on and adjust for it.  Now in the week in which CBS is not carrying the late afternoon game, you should have no problem.  It should record/play as scheduled.  But I wouldn't ever plan on the "Series" feature but set up the recording that day for that show.  Remember that above all, the scheduling for 60 Minutes is sacrosanct.  It will not be cut nor shortened in any way.  Hence on days with the second game you have to adjust around that.  Start recording at the time that the guide says 60 minutes will start and record it, any interveneing programs, Madam Secretary, and also the program which follows it.  (And similarily with the following shows if you record them too, but always with a one hour cushion following the show you actualy want to record)

And when you play them, you will have to fish for them.  Once started, you program may end suddenly.  Simply go to the recording of the next latest show in your VCR menu of recorded shows and it will continue where you left off.

OR  Wait until whenever and watch it then On Demand

YMMV  But it works for me

Starrin

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

60 Minutes is sacrosanct?  Ha.  What's sacrosact is football.Smiley Wink

I would hope that one of these days technology evovles so that  when you schedule a program to record, the system is smart enough to know when that program actually starts and ends.

Until that improvement comes along (assuming it ever will), my solution is whenever there's a major sporting event scheduled, I record the next show after the one I really want to see.  In the case of Madam Secretary that would be The Good Wife.

Or, you could always extend the end time of a scheduled show by 30 minutes.  That will cover a late start 99% of the time and if you've recorded an extra 30 minutes and don't need it?  That won't matter when you're done watching the desired show and you delete it.

Not perfect solutions but they work here.

0 Likes
MPP3
Enthusiast - Level 2

@MPP wrote:

Over the past 2 seasons of Madam Secretary, there have been multiple incidents where the show is simply not recorded even though:

-It is set up as a series recording (Deleted and set up multiple times)

-There is plenty of space on the DVR

-The show is marked as 'New' in the Guide and the series recording is set up with the default values (First-run, etc.)

-We have NOT exceeded the number of shows that should be kept

It is only happening with Madam Secretary.

I apologize for the piece of information I left out:
Madam Secretary has completely disappeared from the schedule, even though it is in the series recordings list.
I have the Good Wife set to extend the end time by an hour due to football (and previous experience). Now this week, Madam Secretary shows that it is set to record on Sunday. Maybe football has something to do with it, but I can't spot the pattern...
DVR Model:CHS435HDC
TIA!
0 Likes
starrin
Contributor - Level 3

The pattern is that there is no pattern.  Football ends when it ends, and CBS has, on occasion, compounded the problem by doing such weird things as having the rest of the evening programming roll at several minutes past the stated time  but then working those minutes down a bit for subsequent programming as the evening runs on. 

0 Likes
MPP3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Still doesn't explain why that program and only that program had disappeared from the schedule. FYI, wasn't only happening during fooball season.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader
  1. Delete the series recording entry
  2. On the DVR/VMS run the "Fix FIOS TV Issues'  in menu/customer uppot/top support tools/.
  3. Recreate Series recording entry.
0 Likes
bruinsfan669

The resaon that Madam Secretary doesn't always record is because it is listed as"News&Info" instead of "Series.  This doesn't have anything to do with football.  If you go to the Fios guide, and scroll to Madam Secretary - you will see its color is teal...  Series are blue, Sports are green, News is teal, Movies are red....

I have the same issue every week - Madam Secretary is set up as a series to tape - but I have to check it every week & if it isn't set up - I have to manually go and set it to record.

I hope this helps...

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bruinsfan669 wrote:

The resaon that Madam Secretary doesn't always record is because it is listed as"News&Info" instead of "Series.  This doesn't have anything to do with football.  If you go to the Fios guide, and scroll to Madam Secretary - you will see its color is teal...  Series are blue, Sports are green, News is teal, Movies are red....

I have the same issue every week - Madam Secretary is set up as a series to tape - but I have to check it every week & if it isn't set up - I have to manually go and set it to record.

I hope this helps...

Not true that this is the cause of your problem.  I was recording (Both in NY AND FL).  It was a perfectly valid series and was being recorded every week (with the usual problems for Football).  In NY on a 7232 and in Florida on a VMS.

0 Likes