Six tuner dvr satellite STB problem
NP10

We recently upgraded to the one of the six tuner DVR's. It so far has been a nice upgrade over the previous model. The problem I have is with the two satellite set top boxes that get the channel over MOCA.  On one TV the sound is garbled and remains that way until the HDMI is removed from the STB and then reconnected. After that all remains fine until the TV is turned off.

The other STB has no video displayed until the same action is performed. 

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Six tuner dvr satellite STB problem
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@NP wrote:

We recently upgraded to the one of the six tuner DVR's. It so far has been a nice upgrade over the previous model. The problem I have is with the two satellite set top boxes that get the channel over MOCA.  On one TV the sound is garbled and remains that way until the HDMI is removed from the STB and then reconnected. After that all remains fine until the TV is turned off.

The other STB has no video displayed until the same action is performed. 

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

? satellite?  Are you talking DirecTV DVR or FIOS VMS?

If you mean the IP boxes that communicate with the VMS box, I don't have that problem and haven't seen anyone else mentioning it.

0 Likes
NP10

It's all FiOS. I didn't remember what the proper term or the new STB's was and yes VMS I believe is the proper term. They don't really have any tuners at all in them really. These are the STB replacements that are like oversized roku boxes. The DVR itslf has been a nice upgrade for us as well. The problems being the VMS STB replacements. It's becoming annoying thatthe HDMI cable has to be reseated in order for everything to function properly. 

I guess I'll becalling Verizon on Monday if I don't get any solutions here.

Thanks.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Note it may be a handshake problem.  What Type TV's are you using connected to those boxes?

@NP wrote:

It's all FiOS. I didn't remember what the proper term or the new STB's was and yes VMS I believe is the proper term. They don't really have any tuners at all in them really. These are the STB replacements that are like oversized roku boxes. The DVR itslf has been a nice upgrade for us as well. The problems being the VMS STB replacements. It's becoming annoying thatthe HDMI cable has to be reseated in order for everything to function properly. 

I guess I'll becalling Verizon on Monday if I don't get any solutions here.

Thanks.

0 Likes
NP10

The TV with the sound issue is an Olevia with an HDMI to HDMI connection. ( I believe VIzio bought them )

The TV with the video issue is a Hitachi Ultravision WS rear projection with an HDMI to DVI converter cable with audio being provided via the RCA jacks.  It still works and I can't bring myself to wheel it out to the street.

Both are HDTV's (not HDTV ready) 

I cold see it could be a handshake problem with the goofball converter setup, but the former is HDMI from start to end and the HDMI  uses TDMS for both audio and video, so both audio and video should be bad, but the video is fine. That in itself shoudl rule out a cable issue as well. 

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Try using a component cable and see if the issue is resovled. If not than it is a HDMI handshake problem.

NP10

I swapped out HDMI cable with a new one just to be sure. No change.

I'm going to just cal verizon and open a ticket.

0 Likes
NP10

Okay, I spoke with verizon and there appears (I'm, told) to be a know issue with HDMI and audio. They wouldn't say what exactly but based on what they would tell me I am forming the following conclusion.

The issue is that TV's running older versions of HDMI have the potential to have audio problems. I'm betting anything pre HDMI 1.4 is going to get screwed up. The reason I say 1.4 specifically is that version 1.4 is when 3D capabilities were introduced.  So what this means as far as I can tell is if you have a pre-mid-2009 TV you will most likely have this problem.

I'm not quote sure how reseating the HDMI cable solves this problem, but it does. At least until the TV is turned off. So functionally it really was a handshaking problem and if I had to guess reseating the cable performs the equivalent of a network autonegotiation for speed duplex, etc.. Once the TV is powered off I bet the HDMI port goes back to it's default setting. When the TV comes back on they can't completely communicate.

Verizon is sending us out two sets of component cables that should be here in 3-5 business days. As long as they aren't shipping from Kathmandu we should have them by the end of the week.

For clarity on quantum terminology, the DVR is called the VMS box and the anciallary boxes that are connected to it are IPC boxes.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@NP wrote:

....  So what this means as far as I can tell is if you have a pre-mid-2009 TV you will most likely have this problem.

For clarity on quantum terminology, the DVR is called the VMS box and the anciallary boxes that are connected to it are IPC boxes.

I have VMS and a Sony LCD TV from 2005 and do not have that problem. Not that that helps, but I don't think all older TVs will necessarily have the problem. If I remember correctly though, in the beginning lots of certain TV brands did have HDMI sync problems due to the loose definitions for HDMI and thus different implementations by different manufacturers. I haven't heard of any problems lately though.

Or you can simply call them the "server" and the "clients." Smiley Very Happy

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes