Some channels not coming up
iputerman

As of yesterday, it looks like some channels between 50 and 100 aren't coming up: 50, 52, 53, 54, 70, 72, 73, 77, 83, 86, 87, 94, 96. Others are coming up just fine. 

Any idea?

0 Likes
Re: Some channels not coming up
iputerman

Sorry, I didn't see how to edit the first post, but I noticed other channels as well (118,120,122) that are missing. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

What does the cable box say when you go to those stations?   is it "Currently unavailable, or Not subscribed?)   is it happening on all the tv's at your house or just one room?  

if it is not subscribed, then you want to call the fios guys at 888 553 1555  

if it is currently unavailable in one room then it sounds like the cable in that room is starting to go bad (coax cable).     I would go to the back of the cable box, and unhook the cable that plugs into it from the wall and also the back of the box.  it's labeled as EITHER fios tv in or RF in.   un hook it, inspect the cable, make sure there are no kinks in it, no animals have been nibbling on it, and that there is no dust inside, or that the pin is not bent on the inside.  if it looks like a good cable, go ahead and screw it back in nice and snug.  NO it is not enough to simply glance at it.   you have to unhook it and hook it back in if you want things to change.

There is a diagnostic menu in the cable box that you can look at the signal strength.  

So the way I would do it is I Would do it in this order

1.  (don't use the remote) but go upto the front of the cable box.   Hit power once and select two times. (make sure you are on a station that is having trouble before you do the power select select thing)

that will pull up a diagnostic menu.   (d01, d02, d03 etc.....)   Look for in band status that is usually d04 on HD boxes and d03 on SD boxes.      This menu will tell you what your SNR is and you want that number above 32 for a healthy signal usually.    if it is below that (even if it says good or whatever) then you will want to do like I described above and play with and adjust that coax cable.      that in band status is specifically talking about the one cable that I mentioned, the RF or FIOS TV In cable.      If simply unhooking it and doing the rest of the stuff above isn't enough to fix that problem, then you may want to just flat out replace the cable.   they are inexpensive and it's a quick easy fix.   If the cabling is fished through the walls and it's inaccessible for you to replace it, then do an cable box swap BEFORE calling the fios guys.  if you don't do this swap then they will have you go through a million tiny little steps that may or may not fix your problem.    

What a cable box swap is, is that you unhook your cable box from this tv and outlet, and move it to a room where that is not having the problem.  if the channels suddenly appear on another coax/rf/fios tv in cable in another room, then you know it's in fact the cabling in that one room that is the problem, BUT if the problem follows the cable boxes into rooms where these channels work.   then it's the box and not the cables, and you can call them and they likely will send you a new box.

0 Likes
iputerman

That all sounded too complicated so I first tried the tel # you gave. 🙂

They reset my cable cards and it brought everything back. Not sure why but I'll take it. Thanks.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

lol   -  cool.   sometimes you have to do all the other stuff, but glad they were able to fix it for you.

0 Likes