STB also turns on my Home Theater System!
kathandy
Enthusiast - Level 2

New here and to FIOS. so far great service and help. Here is my issue.

I have a Philips hts3565d Home Theatre and also a Panasonic  LCD TV. Philips is connected to TV using HDMI, STB also connected to TV using HDMI.

Programmed P265 Remote for TV using code 278, Also setup 977 code for one button power for STB and TV.

Strange thing though is that the Philips will also turn on/off when the STB Power button is used (onoff) but not if I use the Remote TV power button,

I removed the Philips HDMI to make sure this had nothing to do with it and it still turns on/off with the STB power button.

Any thoughts?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: STB also turns on my Home Theater System!
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@kathandy wrote:

... I just want to stop the Philips from powering on when I power on my TV/STB. I am more than happy to control it using a separate remote as I currently do ...

... in which case I'd try to re-program the remote for another brand of receiver, DVD player, or alternate device, so that the Philips is no longer recognized.  Unfortunately I'm not 100% familiar with that specific remote, but re-programming to an invalid or bogus device should get you pointed in the right direction.  There may even be a method in the user manual to re-initialize the remote.

View solution in original post

armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@kathandy wrote:

I have a Philips hts3565d ... and ... a Panasonic  LCD TV. ... connected ... using HDMI, STB also connected to TV using HDMI ... Strange thing though is that the Philips will also turn on/off when the STB Power button is used (onoff) but not if I use the Remote TV power button ...

I'm not sure what your intention is with regard to controlling the equipment.  Do you want surround sound always when viewing TV, or do you want a sound source option?  Either way, the first thing I'd try is a thorough review of this site:.

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=HTS3565D/37&scy=us&slg=en 

Check all the wiring suggestions to determine exactly how you want your components to interact, because there are several viable options.

If you cannot find a wiring layout that meets your needs, you might want to look into the line of Harmony remotes. These devices will give you all possible options and sequences, although programming them will definitely take a bit of time. However, they DO work.

0 Likes
kathandy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks rmond_in_nj.

I just want to stop the Philips from powering on when I power on my TV/STB. I am more than happy to control it using a separate remote as I currently do, the fact that it turns on at all is annoying.

Anything you can help me with figuring out why its coming on would be great 🙂

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@kathandy wrote:

... I just want to stop the Philips from powering on when I power on my TV/STB. I am more than happy to control it using a separate remote as I currently do ...

... in which case I'd try to re-program the remote for another brand of receiver, DVD player, or alternate device, so that the Philips is no longer recognized.  Unfortunately I'm not 100% familiar with that specific remote, but re-programming to an invalid or bogus device should get you pointed in the right direction.  There may even be a method in the user manual to re-initialize the remote.