TV turns on by itself
Joe_D1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes....   On Fri 2/23/18 I recieved 4 new STBs and a new router.  I have been a fios customer and had the same old equipment for the last 6+ years.  Since I WAS still paying for it I wanted the new equipment and if course that came with additional cost and a renewed 2 year contract (which I was not in one before the upgrade).  I also reduced from 5 to 4 STBs.  After new installing the equipment, my TV will randomly turn itself on and the verizon "screen saver" comes on....  

So.....  

Customer service call 1 Explained situation....   result....  reboot medua center box from thier end...  

Condition still happens...

CS call #2....

Set stand by time to none, factory pre set to 4 hours..   did not understand this as this setting turns OFF the box after a period of inactivity.  

Condition still happens....

CS call #3....

Remedy....  I drive to verizon store exchange "defective" box for new one..  (V thinks box is rebooting itself).... Result.....  TV turns itself on again....

CS call #4 (all these contacts are all in the same day mind you)

Install new box... Explained condition...   solution..  I have a bad power source...  remedy....  remove power supply from surge protector and plug into a diffrent power outlet...   All these calls started about 9:30 AM, 10:30 now, I go to bed, wake up.  TV is on again....   

I unplug HDMI cable to TV from back of box go shower and get ready for work.  TV has NOT turned yet...  it has been over an hour so far......

The box to TV hdmi cable will be disconnect until later today.  If the TV is off, after all that has been done, it is not the TV, not the power source, not a defective box,  must be the programming or something....

I will not be stuck in a new 2 year contract paying an additional  $17 and have to deal with this multiple times a day.  

ANY IDEAS OR HELP??.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: TV won't stay powered down?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

First I would try going Menu/Settings/Audio & Video/Video Settings/TV Input Control and set to Disable. 

If it still does it you’ll probably have to turn the same settings off in you TV. Different brands have different name so just search your TV brand and HDMI CEC. 

View solution in original post

Re: TV turns on by itself
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

This might be cuased by a new feature on the VMS boxes called Customer Electronics Control. I noticed it starting doing it for me when the Netflix widget came out. It allows the STB to automatically turn on TVs and set the TV's input to the current HDMI connection on TV's that support that feature.

An option might be to disabled CEC from your TV or possible use a different video cable. Component is a good alternative.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is a setting under Menu Settings Audio&Video TV Control that allows you to disable CEC on STB.

Joe_D1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Turned the Regza-link off on my Toshiba TV, thats what they call it...  still turns on...    hook up one of the secondary boxes to it    still turns on.   The only way to prevent the Tv from turning on is either detach the HDMI cable or disconnect the power supply to the Vbox...

0 Likes
Joe_D1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Did not fix the issue either....   

At the end  Verizon cant help.  

@CRobGauthwrote:

There is a setting under Menu Settings Audio&Video TV Control that allows you to disable CEC on STB.

0 Likes
Joe_D1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon can not remedy this issue..

I want to go back to the old equipment and old service....

0 Likes
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

What the model of your TV?

Which STB is being used on that TV?

Samii

We are having this exact same problem after upgrading our set top box last month as part of a two years contract. We did not have any problem with the old equipment. We have spoken to Fios tech support several times trying different things, at end they have no idea how to fix this. The only way to stop the TV from coming on is to disconnect HDMI cable. Please let us know if you find a solution.  

0 Likes
punkypez

We have exactly the same problem. TV turns itself on every 30 minutes or so, Verizon has been no help, and the only thing that fixes it is to disconnect the HDMI cable.  We also have a Toshiba television. Please help!

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What model STB?

Have you disabled CEC on both STB and TV if available?