What the model of your TV?

Which STB is being used on that TV?

Its a Toshbia and the main video center and a client box both do it

0 Likes
Re: TV turns on by itself
Joe_D1
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Samiiwrote:

We are having this exact same problem after upgrading our set top box last month as part of a two years contract. We did not have any problem with the old equipment. We have spoken to Fios tech support several times trying different things, at end they have no idea how to fix this. The only way to stop the TV from coming on is to disconnect HDMI cable. Please let us know if you find a solution.  

That is the only way I can stop it also

0 Likes
Joe_D1
Enthusiast - Level 2

@CRobGauthwrote:

What model STB?

Have you disabled CEC on both STB and TV if available?

There is no disabling of the CEC on the main unit.  I did not find one nor did the verizon rep.   The link on the TV had been off also.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Setting is not called cec.

Look under menu settings audio/video video settings TV input control. Set it to disabled.

What model Toshiba? My Samsung has an option to disable cec as well.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What type of TV do you have?

Just stumbled upon my Samsung has an option to automatically turn of connected devices.

Go in to settings and see if TV has cec settings. Disable them.

And go into stb and disable as well.

On stb,  do menu settings audio/video video TV input control.

Set to disabled.

punkypez

All the settings are disabled as suggested, but the tv still powers on. It's a Toshiba LCD, don't know the model, ~5 years old.

0 Likes
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

SO far from all that I have seen this appears to be happening on Toshiba TVs only when using the VMS equipment, it might be a bug that was introduced recently.

Samii

Found a work around.

I just installed TP-link smart wi-fi mini (HS105) $23 from amazon and pluged in my tv to it. Now I can turn on/off the tv using Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa. No more fooling with HDMI cable. 

0 Likes
Nuts4pi
Enthusiast - Level 1

We just started experiencing the same issue. I was woken up early yesterday morning to "voices." Came downstairs to find the TV was on. I was certain I had turned it off when I went to bed, but thought my it was my imagination (afterall, I did have a bit too much wine the night before Smiley Wink). Proceeded to go back to bed. Two hours later I got up and - you guessed it - the TV was on again!
When my husband returned from his trip last night I told him what happened. He mentioned that he tried to access the football game on Thursday evening using the FIOS app on his iPhone. I asked if he might have changed some sort of setting through the app but he was certain he didn't. He said I must not have turned the tv off (even though I KNEW I had - twice). Low and behold, while we sat on our porch & conversed through the evening, the TV (previously off) all of a sudden turned on about 11 pm EST! Ooooh - Casper is in the house, LOL! 👻 Needless to say, I turned the volume all the way down, then turned off the TV - let's see if it's on in the morning again. YEP - IT WAS ON!
So, on to Google to search this morning for a solution and found this thread. We have followed the suggestion to disable the CEC:

Menu>Settings>Audio & Video>Video Settings>TV Input Control>Disable
You get a pop-up box in the lower-right corner asking, "Do you want to apply this setting to other STBs in the home network?" Choose Yes, then press the OK button twice. Press the Exit button to exit the menu.

We'll see if this works in the next 24 hours and update the results here. Fingers crossed! 🤞
For information purposes, here's our equipment:

STB: Arris VMS1100 (multi-room DVR)

TV: Sony Bravia XBR-52XH909 (over 7 years old)