Using a Fios Quantum Gateway Router for new Fios TV Service
DeanBillings

I would like to use the Fios Quantum Gateway Router, model # G1100, with my newly installed Fios service instead of the Fios Router model #CR1000A, and eliminate the expensive monthly rental fee.

Here is some background.  The Fios Services installed includes TV, Internet (300 Mbps) and Phone.  When I ordered the service, the Verizon rep said I do not have to get the Fios Router. The rep said I can definitely use my own router, with the only downside being that Verizon cannot provide support for my router since it is not their equipment.  I was fine with that. I have a high-end Netgear Router that has worked great for the last couple of years, and I planned to use that.

Fast forward to the Fios installation date, and the Fios installer said there is no way my TV services (using Fios TV ONE set top boxes) will function without the Fios router.  So, two hours after the install was completed, my Fios bill jumped $18 per month for the Fios router.

To date, six different Fios technical support reps have all confirmed what the installer said.  That the Fios TV service requires the Fios router in order for the TV On Demand, Guide, Voice Remotes, DVR, and TV box firmware upgrades to function. 

I told Fios Customer Service that I do not want to pay for their router since its only purpose in my house is to facilitate the TV service in my house.  I am still fighting with them to drop the rental fee. Clearly, I was given totally false info from the sales people to get me to sign up for the service. 

That said, a very helpful Fios Tech Support rep recommended that I purchase a used Fios Quantum Gateway Router, model # G1100, for $40 from a reputable seller, and that will provide all of the networking functionality to support the Fios TV service, and I can get rid of the rental router.

My plan is to use the Fios Quantum Gateway Router, connect it to the ONT, and then plug my Netgear router into the Fios Gateway Router.  All of my Ethernet and WIFI connections will go through the Netgear.

My questions for this community: Does anyone have this setup in place today? If yes, how does it work?  Does anyone see any potential issues with this setup?

Thanks for the feedback.

Dean

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using a Fios Quantum Gateway Router for new Fios TV Service
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@DeanBillings wrote:

I would like to use the Fios Quantum Gateway Router, model # G1100, with my newly installed Fios service instead of the Fios Router model #CR1000A, and eliminate the expensive monthly rental fee.

Here is some background.  The Fios Services installed includes TV, Internet (300 Mbps) and Phone.  When I ordered the service, the Verizon rep said I do not have to get the Fios Router. The rep said I can definitely use my own router, with the only downside being that Verizon cannot provide support for my router since it is not their equipment.  I was fine with that. I have a high-end Netgear Router that has worked great for the last couple of years, and I planned to use that.

Fast forward to the Fios installation date, and the Fios installer said there is no way my TV services (using Fios TV ONE set top boxes) will function without the Fios router.  So, two hours after the install was completed, my Fios bill jumped $18 per month for the Fios router.

To date, six different Fios technical support reps have all confirmed what the installer said.  That the Fios TV service requires the Fios router in order for the TV On Demand, Guide, Voice Remotes, DVR, and TV box firmware upgrades to function. 

I told Fios Customer Service that I do not want to pay for their router since its only purpose in my house is to facilitate the TV service in my house.  I am still fighting with them to drop the rental fee. Clearly, I was given totally false info from the sales people to get me to sign up for the service. 

That said, a very helpful Fios Tech Support rep recommended that I purchase a used Fios Quantum Gateway Router, model # G1100, for $40 from a reputable seller, and that will provide all of the networking functionality to support the Fios TV service, and I can get rid of the rental router.

My plan is to use the Fios Quantum Gateway Router, connect it to the ONT, and then plug my Netgear router into the Fios Gateway Router.  All of my Ethernet and WIFI connections will go through the Netgear.

My questions for this community: Does anyone have this setup in place today? If yes, how does it work?  Does anyone see any potential issues with this setup?

Thanks for the feedback.

Dean

Look at this video:

https://vzfioscommunity.com/videos/cc-content/uploads/h264/IuuNRNfdi2k4WMPeCFEk.mp4

There are also a LOT of posts here about doing what you want, search is your friend.

View solution in original post

Re: Using a Fios Quantum Gateway Router for new Fios TV Service
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@DeanBillings wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.

Dean

Look at this video:

https://vzfioscommunity.com/videos/cc-content/uploads/h264/IuuNRNfdi2k4WMPeCFEk.mp4

There are also a LOT of posts here about doing what you want, search is your friend.