Using Ethernet Port on IPC1100 - No Video
chris871

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I do not seem to be getting good signal strength on my two upstairs TVs. I eliminated unnecessary splitters, checked the connections, and replaced the coaxial cables. One of the phone techs suggested that I use the Ethernet port. He said this was possible for Quantum client STBs. I have Cat 5e connections in all bedrooms, so I thought this would be worth trying. The TV guide and channel information are working correctly, but I cannot get live TV. Am I doing something wrong? I tried calling support again, but they seem unfamiliar with this type of setup.

I don't know if it matters, but I also have FIOS internet and an Actiontec router (802.11n). The router and media server are connected to my Verizon service with coax. I appreciate any suggestions.

0 Likes
Re: Using Ethernet Port on IPC1100 - No Video
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

So I assume your VMS works ok?

Do you have any IPCs that work ok?

If so, can you swap one of the ones that don't with one that does?

If none work, can you try this:

Put a splitter in near VMS.

Connect IPC to coax connection,

Connect it to TV (either use exsiting VMS port or 2nd port on TV if it has it).

Does it work?

If it doesn't, may be an activation issue.

If it does, then try doing the same thing by running an ethernet to it (if it is close to router).

0 Likes
chris871
Thanks for responding.  See my answers below:
@CRobGauth wrote:

So I assume your VMS works ok? Yes. It is working ok.

Do you have any IPCs that work ok? I have 2 IPCs, and both work when connected with coax. I'm having some intermittent freezing/picture issues, which is why I wanted to try Ethernet. Neither box works when connected by Ethernet.

If so, can you swap one of the ones that don't with one that does? I have tried swapping the boxes, but it still will not work.

Is there some type of setting that I have to change?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you verified that your ethernet connections are functioning?

Try plugging a computer in to them and see if you can access Internet.

0 Likes
chris871

Yes, my ethernet connections do work. I've never had any trouble with Roku, my laptop, etc. It seems that the client is getting an IP address. That is part of the reason why I am so confused. Is there possibly some type of router change that I need to make? When I run the diagnostics, it says that the STB is connected by Ethernet. It appears to be recognized, but I can't get picture.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Saw this in another thread. Won't swear to it, but worth a try:

Unplug your router, VMS server and client. Plug your router back in and wait for it to reconnect. It should take a few minutes. Plug your VMS server back in and immediately keep tapping the menu button on the remote until the front of the box says run. Use the down arrows until you see the word cold and hit the ok button. This will cold initialize the set top box. The box will take several minutes to come back up. When that is done plug in the client and wait for it to reboot. The client should reestablish a connection to the server.

0 Likes
chris871

I am at work, but I am going to try this as soon as I get home. Thanks for the suggestion!

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hopefully CRobGauth suggestion works.  The problem you are encountering is that it already sees the coax connection, and you need to make it try again this time as ethernet. 

There are some much more complicated ways to make it reactivate, but hopefully you can avoid those.

0 Likes
chris871

@tns_2 wrote:

Hopefully CRobGauth suggestion works.  The problem you are encountering is that it already sees the coax connection, and you need to make it try again this time as ethernet. 

There are some much more complicated ways to make it reactivate, but hopefully you can avoid those.

From what I can see, it is recognizing the Ethernet connection.  If I run the diagnostics from my VMS, the boxes are listed as Ethernet. There is also an IP address listed for each client. I'll post later and let everyone know if CRobGauth's suggestion works.

0 Likes
Mikem5906

Did it work?  Everything I've read says Verizon has not yet enabled video over Ethernet on these boxes.

0 Likes