USing own router with FIOS TV
schexc1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon Tech Support, said that I could install my own router, so I ran an Ethernet cable from the ONT to my equipment rack. They also said that I could leave the coax cable hooked up to the G1100, to utilize the channel menu, DVR, On-Demand etc.. I had the Ethernet port on the ONT and my internet is working fine. Now the Ethernet globe on the G1100 is red and I've lost the channel guide, etc.. Did tech support give me the worng information?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: USing own router with FIOS TV
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes and no. You can do it but it's not necessary plug and play. You have to login to the G1100 and go to...

• My Network > Network Connections > Network (Home/Office) > Settings.
  • Change default gateway from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.X or whatever your subnet is set. 
  • Disable the DHCP server
  • Disable wifi on G1100. 
  • Connect LAN from your router or switch to the G1100'S LAN
  • Existing coax needs to be connected to the G1100 coax port. 
  • Reboot your STBs 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes and no. You can do it but it's not necessary plug and play. You have to login to the G1100 and go to...

• My Network > Network Connections > Network (Home/Office) > Settings.
  • Change default gateway from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.X or whatever your subnet is set. 
  • Disable the DHCP server
  • Disable wifi on G1100. 
  • Connect LAN from your router or switch to the G1100'S LAN
  • Existing coax needs to be connected to the G1100 coax port. 
  • Reboot your STBs 
schexc1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I saw another post on the forum, stating to connect an open port from the switch to the WAN port of the Verizon router?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@schexc wrote:

I saw another post on the forum, stating to connect an open port from the switch to the WAN port of the Verizon router?

There is definitely more than one way to accomplish this setup. You can connect it to a switch or directly to you router, but if you follow the directions I posted then it will work. 

schexc1
Enthusiast - Level 2

With either of these configurations, won’t you cause a double NAT?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Connecting to the WAN causes the double NAT because you have to routers as the DHCP server. If you disable the DHCP server in the G1100 and connect to the LAN port the STBs and G1100 will be on the same subnet as your router. 

Atlas9871

I wonder if I’m having the same problem. I followed the instructions from that one highly-viewed post on the forum for setting up your own router (release the lease on the Verizon gateway, unplug it, plug Ethernet from wall to new router, set it up, then - having TV - plug another Ethernet from LAN of new router to WAN of Verizon router and turn on Verizon router). Whew, what a pain. 

Anyway, I feel like everything worked great for a few days, but I feel like maybe I missed a step or did something wrong. Should I have reset the Verizon gateway to factory settings first? The WiFi on the gateway is still active, but I’m pretty sure I need that for my set top boxes or I won’t have TV. Is there a right way to do all of this?

Having Verizon has been such a pain in the A. I would have left the original gateway as it was, but I was checking my connected devices and I was seeing so many unknowns on there (various Mac addresses that come back to nothing, some of my devices showing that they’re connected twice). I wanted to get my own router to have control over my network, but I wonder if I just made everything a little more complicated. 

I should also note that I was hitting kbps download speeds on the Xbox tonight, which propelled my frustration into the stratosphere. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I personally like the setup as I post above. This way everything is on the same subnet. For example, my Ubiquiti router IP is 192.168.1.1 and I change the Verizon router to 192.168.1.2 and disable the DHCP server and turn off wifi. Then connect Ubiquiti LAN to Verizon LAN. I turn of the Verizon router wifi because I have Ubiquiti wireless access points and my STBs are hardwired. Are you saying that some of your STBs are ok wifi? No coax connected?

Atlas9871

So I have a coax AND Ethernet in my gateway. I have the main STB in the basement where the coax is and the other STB in the living room. Coax is plugged into the basement STB, but living room. STB runs off of WiFi. I believe, under these circumstances, I need the gateway to push out a WiFi signal to the other STB.

I may factory reset the Verizon gateway to see if that helps alleviate any problem, so there will be only one thing picking up a WiFi signal, and that’s the living room STB.  

0 Likes
schexc1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Anyone tried a MOCA Bridge with the G1100? Looking at all of the possible options.

0 Likes