Re: WatchESPN
PJL
Master - Level 3

@limen wrote:

Still no ESPN3 on the WatchESPN app here. The message is: "You do not subscribe to the appropriate TV package from your cable provider." Which is true, for my TV package, but I'm getting ESPN3 through my Internet package, so this should work on iOS.

Please explain what you mean by "...I'm getting ESPN3 through my Internet package..."  I don't understand this statement.  <sorry to be dense>

0 Likes
limen
Enthusiast - Level 2

@PJL wrote:

Please explain what you mean by "...I'm getting ESPN3 through my Internet package..."  I don't understand this statement.  <sorry to be dense>

No I'm happy to explain.

FIOS TV and FIOS Internet are two different packages, each of which comes with subscriptions at different levels (e.g., Basic, Extreme, etc.). I subscribe to both FIOS TV and FIOS Internet. My subscription level to the FIOS TV package is basic, and does not include access to the ESPN3 channel on my tv. My FIOS Internet subscription however does include access to the ESPN3 channel online.

It appears when I login to the WatchESPN app with my Verizon credentials I am denied access to ESPN3 based on my FIOS TV subscription, and nobody bothers to check whether my Internet subscription allows access (which is in fact the case).

Does this make sense?

PJL
Master - Level 3

@limen wrote:

@PJL wrote:

No I'm happy to explain.

FIOS TV and FIOS Internet are two different packages, each of which comes with subscriptions at different levels (e.g., Basic, Extreme, etc.). I subscribe to both FIOS TV and FIOS Internet. My subscription level to the FIOS TV package is basic, and does not include access to the ESPN3 channel on my tv. My FIOS Internet subscription however does include access to the ESPN3 channel online.

It appears when I login to the WatchESPN app with my Verizon credentials I am denied access to ESPN3 based on my FIOS TV subscription, and nobody bothers to check whether my Internet subscription allows access (which is in fact the case).

Does this make sense?

Hmm...I've never before heard of a "FiOS Internet" subscription (only FiOS Internet service) and certainly not one that includes access to ESPN.  Can you help me find this on the Verizon web site?  It's always fun to learn something new every day.

EDIT:  I just did an Internet search for "How do I get ESPN3" and found this on the WatchESPN web site FAQs.  I added the bold to video.  I think this answers the question why you do not get ESPN3 on the WatchESPN service using the WatchESPN app.  Verizon's authorization for WatchESPN is correct for your package.  You can see the FAQ at the WatchESPN web site here.  There are a few others that may give you more information on why you're not able to use the app for ESPN3.

Question:  If I have access to ESPN3, why don't I have access to WatchESPN?

Answer:  WatchESPN requires a video subscription from an affiliated provider. Click here for a list of the current affiliates."

0 Likes
limen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here's the general link to Verizon FIOS Internet (without TV service):

http://www22.verizon.com/home/fios-fastest-internet/

Near the bottom of the page on the right side:

"Here's what you get with FiOS Internet:

... Games and events on ESPN3.com"

But yeah, it looks like you're absolutely correct. It appears that ESPN3.com and the WatchESPN iOS app, while both merely different interfaces to the same content, do in fact have different authorization rules. The WatchESPN app's authorization rules appear to be more strict, by allowing only a subset of the ESPN3.com authorized users.

Wow, I'm sure there must be a very good legal reason for that... which probably takes hours to explain or even comprehend 😛

Thanks for the help PJL.

0 Likes