Location of ONT
SteveD
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon just finished installing FiOS TV and Internet.  The location of the ONT was an issue. Because I live in an end unit of townhouse

development all the fiber runs to the side of the house.  Placing the ONT box in the garage was not an option according to the tech, it had

to go inside the house closer to where the fiber was.   This meant the ONT box ended up in my kitchen cabinet above the refrigerator

he drilled a hole through the wall to connect to the fiber and coax cables outside.  My question is....Couldn't the ONT box be set up in the garage

next to an outlet and where the coax cables come in?

0 Likes
Re: Location of ONT
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
The ONT should be mounted within 20ft of the electric meter as close to the coax as possible.
Re: Location of ONT
MoopMeep
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have read that the fiber cable is pre-made with the connectors on the end. So they have certain lengths and can't change it. If the cable is too long, I think there is a cable wrap in the back of the ONT. In your case it sounds like the longest cable isn't long enough to reach the garage. Again, this is what I have heard and I am not sure how true it is.

I have also read in the past that the verizon tech used complete the cable on site and put the connectors on.

0 Likes