327w - blinking dsl light after firmware update - no internet
Drizzt451
Enthusiast - Level 2
Hi everyone,

After trying a second ipad to connect wirelessly with no success, instead of calling support, i foolishly searched the verizon webpage and found a firmware update for the a90-327w 15-06, thinking it might help my problems with the ipads.

The installation of the firmware upgrade was problematic - it failed 2-3 times at %74 and %90ish, but i patiently ran it again and finally it successfully installed the firmware update, and restarted the modem.

And internet never worked again.

Now no matter what i did, the dsl light is blinking. Restarting it, shutting it down overnight, removing phone cable and replugging, nothing has worked. The dsl light blinks, and the 192. menu shows there is no internet.

I upgraded the modem software to the latest 4. Something version, with the new updated verizon menu.. And now i am dying to find a way to downgrade this firmware install to its original version, so that my internet works again.

Fctory settings of the modem doesnt seem to help, the firmware stays the same.

Is there any way to downgrade the firmware? Anyone who had similar problems after installing a firmware update?

Thanks in advance.
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 327w - blinking dsl light after firmware update - no internet
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Either it was a bad firmware build that was installed, the DSL portion of the modem just so happened to have stopped working (hardware failure, line failure), or the firmware upgrade resulted in a bricked modem. You'll need to have Verizon tech support send you a new modem if you cannot get the firmware downgraded.

The fact that the firmware upgrade failed was probably an indication of what was to come. Often times when upgrading the firmware, resetting to defaults tends to help prevent problems from perhaps, previous firmware upgrades.

View solution in original post

hracer
Contributor - Level 2

I did not see you notes it, but have you tried to hold the reset button for 30sec while powered on? This will reset the DSL modem back to factory settings(not back to original firmware ver.). If you downloaded the firmware to your computer, then you may need to reinstall it again. Always after any firmware updates to any device. You need to reset the device after.

Drizzt451
Enthusiast - Level 2
Hi hracer,

Yes i did the factory reset using both the pin at the back and thru the 192.168 menu. Someone recommended waiting overnight with the modem turned off and redoing everything (factory resets). I also tried this but the dsl light still keeps blinking.
hracer
Contributor - Level 2

Ok, then you  will need to call tech support. let them know you did a firmware update to the device and it stopped after that. they will run some tests, but you may need to have the device replaced as the firmware on it does not sound like it was updated correctly(not you, but the device itself).

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Either it was a bad firmware build that was installed, the DSL portion of the modem just so happened to have stopped working (hardware failure, line failure), or the firmware upgrade resulted in a bricked modem. You'll need to have Verizon tech support send you a new modem if you cannot get the firmware downgraded.

The fact that the firmware upgrade failed was probably an indication of what was to come. Often times when upgrading the firmware, resetting to defaults tends to help prevent problems from perhaps, previous firmware upgrades.

Drizzt451
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thanks for the replies. Contactec verizon and they are sending a new modem. I learnt my lesson regarding firmware update.

This will be a question in a totally unrelated issue but it was the reason why i attempted the update.

Me and my boss own ipad 2 s and we never got them to get wireless from the 327w. Our laptops and our iphoned work on the 327w, and the ipads have wireless connectivity at other locations with other modems.

The error we get here is invalid password. I know the password is correct, and i even tried disabling the whole security for the wifi (checked mac address list etc) and when there is no password, then it says unable to connect.

What could be the reason that the ipads are unable to connect, while other things like iphones and laptops do?

Kind regards,

-S
hracer
Contributor - Level 2

Apple's wifi is very unusual on the way it works and stores network information. You will need to delete the keychain for that wifi device(network name) that is stored on the ipad. You can go to your network settings and delete it from joining that network name and start over. Happens all the time. The keychain is what stores all your id/password information. If it is curropted or the wrong infomation get added there, then sometimes Apple just does not tell you it's wrong and acts like your or the device you are connecting to are wrong. Hope that helps.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Above post is pretty true. I've had many issues with Apple's devices when it comes down to Wi-Fi, most notably iPods, iPhones and iPads. It seems like every time they update iOS it winds up doing something to the quality of the Wi-Fi. Before my two iPod Touches became unsupported as of the most recent iOS update, they had issues with maintaining wireless connections. They would disconnect and reconnect at random intervals for no apparent reason. It was of course a bug in iOS which was thankfully fixed (7 iOS versions later, so make that ~4GB in total in updates?), but it seems the most recent versions of iOS are suffering from Wi-Fi issues again.

RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

I hope the new modem gets you out of the woods. 

In my experience, whenever you install new firmware in the router/modem it forgets the username/password that it uses to validate itself to the Verizon Internet gateway.  I'm not referring to your modem, sometimes called a "residential gateway".  I'm talking about the gear at the other end of your DSL line. 

There is, of course, another DSL modem that talks DSL with your modem/router.  After that, there's the Verizon Internet Gateway.  And after that is the internet. 

The Verizon internet gateway won't let you onto the internet until it gets this username/password combo.  Normally, it's the same username/password combo that you use to log into Verizon's home page under your main account.  But there are some other combos that work as well.