Airport Time Capsule will only operate in Bridge mode
klaus57
Enthusiast - Level 1

Im a Verizon dsl customer and am trying to configure an Airport Time Capsule with a Westell 2200 modem.  The only workable configuration I can come up with is bridge mode.  Every other configuration has some sort of conflict with the modem.  I have tried to set the modem in bridge mode, with DHCP service both on and off, and connect with the Airport Time Capsule, but was unable to get an internet connection ( I used the password and login for my main email account - perhaps I should have used the vzid but I don't know the password - in the modem I see it says "set by verizon").  

I never had this problem with any other router I have used.

Any ideas?  Thanks, Klaus

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Airport Time Capsule will only operate in Bridge mode
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@klaus57 wrote:

Very sorry if this is a stupid question, but if I don't get the dns service from the westell 2200, where will I get it from?  The routher asks for this address during the PPPoE setup.

Thanks,

Klaus

DNS should come from the PPPoE connection itself automatically. If you have to, define servers such as 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. If you have about a half an hour of time where you can leave your machine idle, I would recommend running the DNS Benchmark program from Gibson Research to choose the best (fastest) servers for you.

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

Pick the two consistently fast servers. The program will give you some general recommendations when it completes. I recommend setting up the Custom nameserver list when theprogram asks for that.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 When you tried to setup the Westell for Bridge mode, it was bridge-bridge (not bridge-routed bridge)

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

#2 Before you changed the modem combo not to handle the public IP (per that FAQ), what kind of connection is it?

PPPoE

DHCP (called in the Westell unit: Bridge-Routed Bridge-DHCP Enabled)

0 Likes
klaus57
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

Here is the configuration:

Westell 2200

VC Configuration

Protocol: Bridge

Mode: Bridge  (NOT Routed Bridge)

DHCP Configuration

DHCP Server set to off

The connection before seting the modem to bridge mode was PPPoE.

I've also fooled around with the private LAN settings, but they are at their default now.

Airport Time Capsule

Connect Using PPPoE

Router Mode: DHCP and NAT

The DNS server is set to the Westell 2200 address (192.168.1.1)

Thanks,

Klaus

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do not set the Airport Time Capsule to use the DNS Server in the Westell since the Westell is not configured to not to handle the public IP.

0 Likes
klaus57
Enthusiast - Level 1

Very sorry if this is a stupid question, but if I don't get the dns service from the westell 2200, where will I get it from?  The routher asks for this address during the PPPoE setup.

Thanks,

Klaus

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@klaus57 wrote:

Thanks,

Klaus

DNS should come from the PPPoE connection itself automatically. If you have to, define servers such as 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. If you have about a half an hour of time where you can leave your machine idle, I would recommend running the DNS Benchmark program from Gibson Research to choose the best (fastest) servers for you.

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

Pick the two consistently fast servers. The program will give you some general recommendations when it completes. I recommend setting up the Custom nameserver list when theprogram asks for that.