Anyone have trouble reaching sites in Virginia/Washington DC area or service there?
fromri

Today from about 3:15pm EST to approx 4:30pm est I was unable to reach web sites in the virginia - washington DC area. I have sites hosted at servint.net and was unable to get to them or servint's main site. I was unable to access other sites I believe in the area - aol.com, washingtonpost.com . Since I have phone contact with Servint they assured me they were fine and all sites were fine. They suggested it might be a router issue on the network.

This same thing happened on Sunday afternoon (12/6) - did anyone experience this?

Verizon tech support was less than helpful shall we say.  I was able to get to anywhere on the net I tried all day, then suddenly I wasn't able to reach these Virginia/DC area sites, but was still able to connect to everywhere else I wanted. Tech simply wants to connect to my computer - couldn't even tell me if there was an outage anywhere or any network issue, just kept saying my line was fine. No kidding!

Anyway just wondering if anyone else experienced it as it seems to be working again.

Also there used to be a page on the Verizon site that we could check the DSL Network status. The only one I see now has nothing since 2007. I am guessing that it is not in service.

0 Likes
Re: Anyone have trouble reaching sites in Virginia/Washington DC area or service there?
jhjackson

I am in the Franconia area and my service has been non-existent since 9 PM last night.  I sent two e-mails to support with no reply as yet.

0 Likes
Re: Anyone have trouble reaching sites in Virginia/Washington DC area or service there?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

next time it happens, it would behoove you to run a trace route and running a trace to the websites affected

that will produce a list of routers that are inbetween your location and the affected website, and let you know which ones are struggling.     

It may be a router inside Verizon's control, or it may be another provider.

you can also take a look at www.internethealthreport.com to see if there are any known issues going on with different providers. 

jhjackson   your problem is likely different than the OP

fromri

Hubrisnxs - thank you for that link, it may help in the future. The frustration, aside from lack of the service was that Verizon tech support help was basically non-exisitent. I already had information to give from the main server company I was trying to reach yet all tech support wanted to do was access my computer. He didn't even try to understand what I was asking and wouldn't give me a supervisor. Really poor. However you are right, running a trace route might give me additional information I could use.

jhjackson- I am sorry to hear about your service issue, but I don't think it is the same issue. I had service just could not reach web sites in  a  certain area of the country. I was simply wondering if anyone else had noticed this same issue.

0 Likes
fromri

well it is happening again. I can't reach any sites I try in the Washington DC/ Virginia area. Not having problems with other sites, but the server company I use in McLean VA  www.servint.net  is one I can't reach as well as aol.com and others.

Anyone else?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

hello again, it is starting to sound like you are picking up IP Addresses that are possibly blacklisted by the website you are visiting.   If I am right, then you can open http://www.greensurf.info/    and try to go to that website through this website.

if it goes through succesfully, then you are being blocked by that website, and you may want to email them to update their filters to allow verizon customers on 'xyz' subnet.

The way you find out what subnet you are on is by going to whatismyip.org    and then the ip address that comes up is what your router uses.   and then your subnet will be the first two sets of numbers with a .0 at the end.

So for example.     192.168.1.1 would have a subnet of 192.168.0     you might 96.x.0  or 173.x.0   you'll be something like that.

make sure to go to green surf and put the website that you are trying to use and see if you can access it that way.

0 Likes
fromri

Thank you for that idea, I always learn stuff here to be sure. However I have trouble with the idea that aol.com or servint.net or the washingtonpost are blocking anyone. The fact that I can get them using a proxy server just confirms that the sites themselves are up and running and that the block is somewhere on the network.  For example when I try to trace using network-tools.com it gets through 5 levels and times out.

WHen I look at internethealthreport that you suggested last time, I see warnings around Boston and I am in Rhode Island. Problem is I don't really know how to read that stuff. 

The other issue is it has been fine all day, then all the sudden gone. But only in that area. I didn't change ips during the day.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

well I know that AOL was having some trouble today, so I would chalk that one upto aol having a slight issue. the other two addresses, if they are accessible through a proxy tells us that it is being blocked by ip address.

When you do not use a proxy, you're obviously using a verizon IP Address with FiOS

When you are using a proxy, you're still using FiOS but the IP address is different or at least registers as different to the website specifically.

That means that the website is up and it's accepting different ip addresses, but when you're Verizon one hits the website it gets blocked.

You can sometimes call tech support and ask them to "break the dhcp lease" and then you reboot your router, and you get a new ip address.   that may fix it.   but there is no garuntee you would get a new address.   that is probably the best and easiest fix that you could employe yourself.  

The alternate is to reach out to the site admins for

servint.net    you can email those guys @ ipdept@servint.com

and then to do the same to the washingtonpost.com their guys are addrmgt@qsun.att.com 

basically they aren't blocking YOU,  what happens is these addresses are recycled between all of verizon's users in an area, and someone may have had that ip address and were doing what is concidered as naughty business on those websites, and they were considered offending users. and so they got the address blocked.    then the address left them, went to another customer and now you have the problem.

or the sites blocked the whole subnet which sometimes happens.  

ORRRRRR

it could also be that your IP is a new range, and one that isn't in the website guys table yet, and they just have to update their filters to allow the new ip's.

Verizon always is coming out with new ip's because there are so many customers AND the internet in general is running out of ip addresses.

0 Likes
fromri

Thank you again for the reply and trying to help. I also appreciate the email addresses and other links you always provide.

Thing is that 1 - I have DSL not FIOS if that matters, probably not but just to be clear.

2- I had the same IP all day and it was fine all day and then all the sudden and for the last several hours poof can't reach sites in the small area. How many people do they assign the same ip address to - I thought it was just me. And since I didn't do anything to get blocked while visiting sites today (or any day) I have trouble with that idea.

3- I reset my modem and got an entirely new and different IP but yet same problem exists.

Anyway as I said I appreciate your help, I just don't understand how it can be what you are suggesting under these circumstances. So I will no doubt put this aside for tonight and with any luck it will get cleared this evening at some point.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@fromri wrote:

Thank you again for the reply and trying to help. I also appreciate the email addresses and other links you always provide.

Thing is that 1 - I have DSL not FIOS if that matters, probably not but just to be clear.

2- I had the same IP all day and it was fine all day and then all the sudden and for the last several hours poof can't reach sites in the small area. How many people do they assign the same ip address to - I thought it was just me. And since I didn't do anything to get blocked while visiting sites today (or any day) I have trouble with that idea.

3- I reset my modem and got an entirely new and different IP but yet same problem exists.

Anyway as I said I appreciate your help, I just don't understand how it can be what you are suggesting under these circumstances. So I will no doubt put this aside for tonight and with any luck it will get cleared this evening at some point.

No problem at all.

the dsl vs fios thing isn't too important because it's the same concept.   

The ip that you say you had all day long was it a 192.168.x.x address or a different one, and if you have it can you post it?  I don't need the full address just the first three octets.    so 192.168.1  or 71.247.3

and the service is dynamic which means that ip address changes regularly.  The lease that verizon uses for addresses to change is 4 hours, however if you're pc is connected and using an address for 8-24 hours or whatever the case, it's possible it will renew with the same exact ip address when the time limit is up, this should all be transparent to you, you don't have to do anything to dump a 4 hour ip and get a new one, that is handled by the router.   

the same ip address is used within the entire Verizon Geographic area that the main router serves, and that is usually at the very minimum  thousands of customers, if not 10's  of thousands of customers. 

so it goes through a lot of hands. 

if you had a 192.168 address and that is what you are talking about when you refer to "you had the same address", then that is a different address than I Am talking about. 

if you had a public IP which is like 71.247.3.x  then that is more what I am talking about.

Again I could be wrong or way off base, but in general it's blocked in some fashion and it's ip specific.

To show you, go to whatismyip.com and get your ip

and then go to that greensurf and then go to whatismyip through there, and you'll see how different those addresses are. 

That is partly where the problem lies. 

If it was verizon or DSL blocking you, then then you wouldn't be able to access that site regardless of doing it through greensurf or not.

0 Likes