DSL is Red Headed Step Child
mmi16

Verizon DSL is the Red Headed Step Child of the Verizon data handling world.  My DSL modem frequently starts flashing the DSL light for a minute or two and then it returns to working.  Other times the Internet light will go out and stay out for a minute or two, sometimes more.

Sometimes neither will reset on their own and I have to power down and power up the modem and things start working again.  Sometimes the modem will work correctly for hours, sometimes minutes.  Modem seems to work better when outside temperatures are lower.  I currently have a small fan blowing A/C cooled air on it - it is working better this Summer with the additional cooling than it did last Summer, but it still fails much too often.

Fios is not offered in my area so that is not a option.  The only other option would be to switch to COMCAST.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DSL is Red Headed Step Child
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have a landline still? If you have any signs of static or other unwanted noise on the phone line, especially when you kill the dial tone, call Verizon out for a voice service repair. Once they correct the problems with the voice service, the DSL service should improve.

Outside of that, it's going to take a bit of effort to get the copper line fixed if you're only having DSL problems. It may not even be a problem with the copper line itself. It could be, in some instances, a congestion issue. If you have issues with the DSL slowing down at night in a predictable manner, followed by DSL drops, that could be more congestion related with some types of equipment Verizon uses for DSL service.

Alternatively, if you are in a Verizon 5G Home area, consider looking into that. The 5G should be much faster, cheaper, and better than whatever you can get via DSL, and it's not going to have a data cap as long as it is the "Home" version of their wireless offerings. Hopefully in the future, Fios will show up.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Has Verizon Repair been contacted about this issue (the opening information doesn't specify)?

If the modem is the cause of the trouble, Verizon could still send a replacement unit out. Overheating can cause electronic devices to operate erratically.

mmi16

The modem was replaced in May or June in 2021, when the 'old' modem stopped operating at all.  The poor operation continued from the old to the new modem.

Service was last out in July 2014, when I lost dial tone on my telephone service (was told it was going to b a week or more until a technician could be sent - went to inspect the interface box myself, the ladder slipped and I broke my left radius - a hour after I got back from the ER, a technician show up unannounced.  He found a issue at the 'main office'.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

In addition to the Network Interface, Verizon would need to test the entire path from their facility to the NIU.

Sections of cable are spliced together. Copper conductors, over time, can experience failure if exposed to the elements....for example, the audio quality of telephone calls goes south when it rains.

My suggestion would be to open tickets each time service quality is negatively impacted. Tickets provide documentation of what is done to try to resolve troubles.

mmi16

The DSL light on the modem/router  will start to flash, with no warning and unknown reason, for seconds to minutes and will then return to its steady on state.  This will happen multiple times per day.

When the DSL light is on - everything works, when it is flashing, no joy.  When the light is flashing my browser will stat 'not connected to internet'.  Once the DSL light stays on, my browser 'Internet restored'.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does the DSL modem show DSL stats in it?

Regardless if you know the answer to my last question:

#1 Which DSL modem is this?

#2 Do you have a separate NAT router too?

For example when the last time that I was on DSL I had my Linksys E4200 hardware version one behind my Actiontec GT784WNV (modem).

mmi16

Called service yesterday. The automated version of 'service' suggested the problem was in the DSL filters placed on the other phones in my residence - suggesting that one had 'gone bad'.  All well and good to say one has gone bad, with no mention of how to test the DSL Filters to determine which one is bad.

Held on an managed to talk to a live human being.  They did a initial test on the line and it showed a error of some kind - with their 'back office' manipulation they were able to resolve that issue, which seemed to resolve everything for about 24 hours - then the DSL light began flashing again for about a minute and the returned to being on steady.

The plot thickens.

0 Likes
mmi16

As the plot has thickened - the thick has also plottened.

After dealing with the Verizon help desk I seem to be getting the following service.

In the Morning service is 'pretty good' up to about 10:30 AM  after 10:30 until about 6;00 PM the service is spotty with me getting frequent messages from my Chrome browser that I am disconnected from the Internet.  After 6:00 PM the service seems to become solid with very few 'service breaks'.

I live in a area of single family homes .  For my monthly bill - this issue is still outstanding.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have a landline still? If you have any signs of static or other unwanted noise on the phone line, especially when you kill the dial tone, call Verizon out for a voice service repair. Once they correct the problems with the voice service, the DSL service should improve.

Outside of that, it's going to take a bit of effort to get the copper line fixed if you're only having DSL problems. It may not even be a problem with the copper line itself. It could be, in some instances, a congestion issue. If you have issues with the DSL slowing down at night in a predictable manner, followed by DSL drops, that could be more congestion related with some types of equipment Verizon uses for DSL service.

Alternatively, if you are in a Verizon 5G Home area, consider looking into that. The 5G should be much faster, cheaper, and better than whatever you can get via DSL, and it's not going to have a data cap as long as it is the "Home" version of their wireless offerings. Hopefully in the future, Fios will show up.