Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.

How to update firmware with Verizon DSL Westell 7500

cutiepigs
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

How to update firmware with Verizon DSL Westell 7500

Message 1 of 11
(17,138 Views)

I play a game online called Toontown.  Recently I have been having trouble with the game and an email to tech support states this:  The problem that you experienced may have been due to a dropped Internet connection. If you connect through a  router (a central device that enables two or more computers to share an Internet connection) the firmware on your router may be outdated.

I have been playing this game for over a year and have never experienced a problem, and no other players I have talked to are having anything go wrong, so I have to think it is on my end.  I do not experience a drop in connection but to that I recieved: 

Even when on a high speed connection, you will still sometimes experience "packet loss". A packet is data that is sent between your computer and our website. Toontown is a very "packet sensitive" game and requires a constant connection to the Internet, which can be broken by only a brief lapse. While you may not completely lose your connection to the Internet, Toontown can still be affected.

How do I update the firmware?  Do I have to call Verizon, is it something I do on my own?  Please be as specific as possible because I REALLY don't want to mess up our internet connection.

Thank you!

10 REPLIES 10
dslr595148
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: How to update firmware with Verizon DSL Westell 7500

Message 2 of 11
(17,120 Views)
#1 Please post the noise margins. I am not sure where, try System Monitoring -> Advanced Status -> Transciever Stats. #2 In your router at Advanced, there is a link for Firmware Upgrade?

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

cutiepigs
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 3 of 11
(17,113 Views)

Not sure where system monitoring is?

dslr595148
Platinum Contributor III

Message 4 of 11
(17,106 Views)

Ok... #1 Check the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS Servers on your computer.

Since most people use Windows, I will assume that...

a) Go to Start, and then to run.

b) type in

cmd and press enter.

d) In the new window, called the command prompt, type in

ipconfig /all

and press enter..

#2 With your web browser, go to the default gateway - and log-in as need be.

#3 Look for System Monitoring.

^^

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

cutiepigs
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 5 of 11
(17,079 Views)

under margin I have 24.7 under down stream path and 10.0 under the upstream path...

Is that what you needed?

dslr595148
Platinum Contributor III

Message 6 of 11
(17,026 Views)
Please post all of the details from that screen..

cutiepigs
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 7 of 11
(16,999 Views)

Transceiver Information             Downstream Path              Upstream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)                3360                                       832

Margin (dB)                                     24.7                                        10.0

Line Attenuation (dB)                    39.0                                        21.0

Transmit Power (dBm)                 8.2                                          11.9

ty in advance for any help you can provide

dslr595148
Platinum Contributor III

Message 8 of 11
(17,005 Views)

Margin = Signal to noise margin. 6 is pretty bad possibly unusable at times, 20 is very good. You normally want 12dB or better IIRC from back in my DSL days. The higher the number, the better to a point.

Line Attenuation = Measure the amount the signal has degraded. Below 20dB is excellent, above 50 is poor, fill in the dots for anything in between.

Transmit Power = The higher the number, the more power is required to transmit. This number will vary based on the other numbers.

Also in your router at Advanced, is there a link for Firmware Upgrade?

cutiepigs
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 9 of 11
(16,984 Views)

So my numbers are ok than?  Does that mean I am not losing packets like toontown claims?

I did find the link for the firmware but when I try and use it, it says it can not connect to the server.  😞

brooklyn93boy
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 10 of 11
(16,961 Views)

Hey, I have the same modem/router as you and to update my firmware I simple open my internet browser and in the address bar type in 192.168.1.1 and hit enter and it takes me to my modem/router setup and once your there in the menu click Advanced and you should find update firmware, anymore questions ? Feel free to ask me.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title