Re: Is Road Runner more dependable
camps77

Like I have said, sometimes it's fines, other times it isn't . Yesterday was fine, little slow at times, but I could live with it. Today, same problems, off more than I'm on. The problem happens at anytime during the day/week, sunny or rainy, guess my decision has been made, have already called Road Runner and actually talked to a real person in English, guess getting basic internet service is impossible from Verizon. I'm not mad, just so disappointed, let down and disgusted with the lack of customer service, tech support and any help for you would think would be one of the easier problems to solve. Here are my current stats, not sure what they mean, that DSL light cannot flash any faster than it is, any time now I will lose my connection... what's new. I'm back, lost my connection, one question, maybe it's just a rant, but does this forum do any good? Seems as though no one from Verizon checks or helps, all these responses from whoever never once has provided any help, suggestions, etc, like I have said, just so hard to believe in this day and age basic internet service is an impossible service. Stats probably look fine now, wait until this has been posted for it to change.

Internet Status:

DSL Link:

Connected

Speed(Down/Up)

3359 Kbps / 783 Kbps

Connection Type:

PPPoE

Username:

camps77

IP Address:{edited for privacy}

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d19d Vendor ID Code 4D54 Line Mode ADSL_2plus Data Path FAST
Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1216 775 Margin (dB) 13.1 9.9 Line Attenuation (dB) 57.0 34.6 Transmit Power (dBm) 14.9 12.4
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

You are disconnecting because your download noise margin is dropping down to 6. Your numbers suggest that you may be too far for 3M service.  Try testing from the NID if you can otherwise you may have to downgrade your service tier to a lower speed. You should be 12,000ft or less for the 3M service.

0 Likes
camps77

Called them again, they are sending a team out again tomorrow to do whatever, will be the third time, luckily I don't have to be here, but they may need to come again Friday, unbelievable. How would I go about going to a lower speed like you said, does that improve the connection?

0 Likes
FieldT
Enthusiast - Level 3

It looks like you either have a problem on the line or you are too far from the office, the tech should be able to fix the line or tell you that you are too far out, he can usually call up and have you turned down to 1.5M because it is the same price, if you need to be turned down to 1M or 768K then you need to call Verizon online because that is a price change. If they turn you down, try it for a while, don't give up, for most people 1M is plenty fast, and it will save you a lot of money over roadrunner. I have roadrunner because I can never get DSL where I am, way, way too far for central office that right now doesn't even have DSL, anyway road runner is fast when you are the only one on it but slow when neighbors and everyone else is also on it. With DSL you always get the same speed, if it is not broke, you are on your own set of wires to the central office and don't share them with everyone.

0 Likes
FieldT
Enthusiast - Level 3

And to answer your question,  yes it does improve your connection, I have turned many down to 1.5M or less and have then work better than ever.

0 Likes
camps77

I think it's working better, not 100% sure. Think they came out yesterday, they didn't tell me if they did or not, did not go down yesterday, though today it took a while to get on. Have been up for a while now, though the speed seems to be slower, nothing I can't live with as long as I stay connected. What I'm curious about is the lights on the modem, while the DSL light is solid, the internet light almost always is rapidly flashing, does this mean a weal signal and is why the speed is slower? Before, when the light flashed that fast, it was almost always a sign I was about to be disconnected. Thanks for your response, I would have to call them do get it turned down?

0 Likes
camps77

Funny how 2 minutes after I wrote, I lost the connection. Now 2 hours later can finally get on, during that time restarted my computrt twice, no success, modem was turned off/on so many times, the DSL light just never stopped it's rapid blinking, never once did the Internet light come on, not even red, should I take this as a sign that... a service call was not done or for the 3rd time they could not fix it. I'm sure anyone who has read these can understand my frustration, this is beyond the point of any excuses, etc. Placed an order with Road Runner, have an order # and plan, holiday weekend so I'll wait until Tuesday to schedule a setup time, may be more expensive, but right now I'm paying money to get hardly anything.

0 Likes
FieldT
Enthusiast - Level 3

Modem lights

DSL light

If it it on solid that means the modem is connected, in sync with the central office. If it is blinking you have no connection it is like it is unplugged, you can type forever, you will never fix it, it is a connection problem. If it starts to blink fast it is trying to sync up with the central office, it will start to blink fast just before it goes solid. If you unplug or turn off modem it may take a couple tries and a minute or two to sync up. If everything is working properly the DSL light should always be solid.

Internet, USB and Ethernet lights will blink showing activity, don't really mean much, if they turn red the usually means you lost your connection

0 Likes
camps77

Thanks, my new problem or maybe ongoing one, is my phone line is down. Last Wednesday a service man did come out to fix my internet, since then the connection has been fine, but at the same time he did something so know my phone doesn't work, surprised the internet is still connected, though the speed is only 2/3, still better though. Tomorrow, will be on my 4th service call, phone will probably be fixed, but will probably go back to the internet problems.

0 Likes
camps77

Just knew it, phone service was fixed 4 hours ago, since then have not been able to stay on the internet for than 5 consecutive minutes, what great service, what qualifications does it take to be a service man{please keep your posts courteous}

0 Likes