Modem Problems
jwbiii

I hope someone can help me.

I have a Westell 6100 modem, and I've had it for approximately three years. About three months ago, my DSL internet connection would mysteriously vanish and then reappear seemingly at random. This happened for about three days and then stopped. Recently, it's started again.

I have been on  the phone with tech support about this three different times, and it's always fixed itself while I was on the phone. However, I've tried everything the tech support people told me to do, and nothing seems to be working now. I've turned it off, re-booted, checked the connections, all of that. It starts and stops at random with no regard to the weather or anything. I have it connected to a splitter with the phone, and through all of this, the phone has been working perfectly well. That tells me the problem is not with the phone line itself, right?And yes, I've tried plugging the cord directly into the wall jack and not the splitter. No effect.

Is it time for a new modem? Where can I find a Westell 6100 other than online?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

John

0 Likes
Re: Modem Problems
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
In your router go to Trouble Shooting -> Transceiver Status.

Please post them.
0 Likes
Misou

Hello-

I had the same situation with the Westell 6100 earlier this year; then the intermitent problem became a nightly problem with the router dropping off several times a night ...but, strangely, not while I was on the phone with a technician. 

After 3 weeks of internet chat and live phone help, Verizon finally, and rather grudgingly, agreed that it is "probably" a router problem (although they said that it was only a couple of years old and should not be a problem despite what I said that in the first place.

They said they could send me a new one for $75 or I could buy myself a new one and install it myself.  If they mailed me one for $75, I had to mail back the old one.

As soon as I installed the new Verizon, problem solved. Have not had a single problem since. So, I guess it was the router after all.

Best of luck to you.

Misou

0 Likes
StevenM
I have the same problem - my modem is brand new, only a few weeks old. No router.
0 Likes
StevenM
My connection drop outs are gone.  I read in the verizon help that conection dropouts could be caused by being plugged in to a surge protector.  I pluged into to another source, and my drop outs stopped.
0 Likes