My Verizon DSL Rant
Tiggerrick
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I first moved into my new home 5 years ago, I got Verizon DSL.  I used to enjoy 700+ speed connections all day long.  Never a delay.  I was happy to pay for the service.

About a year ago, service started to get spotty.  First only when it rained, then more often.

Now, DSL becomes unusable between about 6pm and 11pm.  My speeds drop under 100kbps or my connection is dropped altogether.  I have tried everything I know of (I am far from being a newbee).  Have used two different modems (Westell and Actiontec), have updated the hardware, have optimized my PC, all with the same results.  At other hours I get better connection speeds, but now only in the 5-600 kbps range.

I believe that this is due to FiOS.  Verizon's servers are so busy with the higher throughput from the other users connecting to the same node, that us DSL users are left behind.  Verizon doesn't seem to care as we are no longer their 'cash cows.'  We have to fight for whatever little bandwidth is left over like beggars asking for "more please."

Verizon, I now hate your DSL service; and no, I will NOT pay you for FiOS unless you start treating all your users right.

0 Likes
Re: My Verizon DSL Rant
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Please post your DSL modem's tranceiver statistics.

0 Likes
FieldT
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sounds like you are on a bad line coming to your house from Verizon. When you say it is worse when it rains out, that usually means the cable is getting wet someplace. Call up Verizon online and demand a tech come out. He can test the lines and change you to a spare good line if that is the problem. Have him check out everything inside the house while he is there. See if you are using any flat cords with stranded wire, I have had many that worked fine for years only to get worse and worse over time. You need good solid copper wire all the way from the box on the side of your house to the modem. Any inferior wire can cause problems.

Tiggerrick
Enthusiast - Level 2

DSL Status

VPI 0

VCI 35

DSL Mode Settings MMODE

DSL Negotiated Mode G.DMT

Connection Status: Showtime

Speed (down/up) 864/160Kbps

ATM QoS class: UBR

Near End CRC Errors 2/0

Far End CRC Errors 2/0

Near End CRC (within last 30 min) 0/0

Fard End CRC 0/0

Near End RS FEC 0/0

Far End RS FEC: 370/0

Near end FEC 0/0

Fard end FEC 0/0

Discarded Packets 0

SNR Margin (Downstream/Upstream) 14/29

Attenuation 43/31

I have had a tech come out here to troubleshoot the line before.  Ofcourse, they come in the middle of the day when it's nice and sunny outside.  No problems at that time.  I have a dedicated copper line to the PC in the house directly from the box, so I know it's not the inside wiring.  The fact that I keep having trouble at specific times of the day suggests the problem is at Verizon's end.  I have done the speed test on Verizon's site and have had as slow as 33kbps in the evening.  Try watching YouTube at that speed.

0 Likes
FieldT
Enthusiast - Level 3

Next time tech comes out ask them to transfer you to a spare line from your house back to the central office. Sounds like your line is getting wet when it rains out and then drying up, moving you to a good spare should prevent that. I had one yesterday that looked great but he said the same exact thing was happening.

0 Likes
FieldT
Enthusiast - Level 3

Something else you can also try, at the nid disconnect all other wires except the one going to the modem and unplug anything else plugged into that line. Try this for awhile to see if problem goes away or still happens. You won't be able to use the phone but at least you will know if anything in the house is interfering with it. Make sure all of you connections are good.

0 Likes
babygiorgio1

3 things

1) change your dsl mode sttings to g.dmt

2) from your attenuation stats, it looks like your pretty far from the central location

3) your actiontec modem may be needing a replacement. its a crappy modem

0 Likes