Problem Connecting to Internet With New Linksys Router
Mbanando
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am upgrading my router from an older Linksys WRT-54GX4 to a Linksys WRT-310N and I cannot connect to the internet.  No matter what I try I cannot get a connection.  I have tried copying the MAC address from the computer with no luck.    The old router connects fine.  

One other notable observation.  Some of the troubleshooting steps that I have read suggested that I connect the DSL modem directly to the computer to test the DSL connection.  I figured this was pointless because I can connect fine using my old router, but when I try to connect my DSL modem directly to the computer I cannot connect to the internet. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

MB 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Problem Connecting to Internet With New Linksys Router
Mbanando
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Telcoguru for all your help.  I was able to connect by cloning my MAC address from my old router.

Mike B.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
If you are PPPoE you have to enter the information into the router. If you are DHCP you either have to unplug everything and wait for the lease to expire or clone the MAC address to the new router.
0 Likes
Mbanando
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Telcoguru,

Thanks for responding.  I am DHCP and I have tried to clone the MAC address, but was still unsuccessful at connecting.  Anything else I should try.

Thanks,

Mike B.  

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
You need to clone the MAC address of the old Linksys to the new Linksys or unplug everything and wait overnight for the lease to expire then hook up the new Linksys and you don't have to worry about cloing the MAC address.
0 Likes
Mbanando
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Telcoguru for all your help.  I was able to connect by cloning my MAC address from my old router.

Mike B.

0 Likes