Problem with AOL/Verizon DSL
pjh3
Enthusiast - Level 3
A neighbor has Verizon DSL through AOL and has been using a Westell 327W, He just got a new desktop computer and is having trouble connecting to some websites. 1) If the default admin/password do not work on the 327W, would his AOL userid/password work? 2) Does resetting the 327W cause it to become completely unconfigured? Here's the strange thing. He's using an Ethernet connection. I activated wireless on the 327W and logged in with my smartphone. I can get to websites that time-out for him!!! He's tried both IE and Chrome and gets the same results. He brought the desktop back to Staples and they connected it to whatever they use, and they had no problems. If anyone has any suggestions, both of us would appreciate them. Thanks.
0 Likes
Re: Problem with AOL/Verizon DSL
TonyaD_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

pjh,

The default password should work.  The AOL password will not work. If you reset the router it will go back to the factory settings.  If you were able to connect your smartphone that just proves that  internet access is available.  If your neighbor has another device that he can attach hardwired with the Ethernet cable, that would be the ultimate test.  There could be a application or security  software running that is causing the timing out issue. He can also try to start his desktop up in safemode and then try the site again and  if he successful with the site, we know that it is something that is running in normal mode.

Thanks,

Tonya D.

0 Likes
pjh3
Enthusiast - Level 3
Thank you. The problem was solved by updating the NIC drivers.
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pjh wrote:
Thank you. The problem was solved by updating the NIC drivers.

Awesome to hear. Pretty common fix for newer PCs and older hardware. Updated NIC drivers tend to fix a lot of things.

0 Likes