Replacement Modem??
atantekeier
Enthusiast - Level 3

I currently have Verizon DSL, and it has be progressively getting slower and slower. Even really late at night around midnight the connection its extremely slow. (0.05Mbps download 0.01Mbps upload)

But in the Versalink gateway it tells me that my current connection speed is 864Kbps down and 160Kbps up when its no where near that at midnight and only my computer connected.

I feel it has something to do with the router. We have had it for quite a while (4-5 years) from Verizon. And I can see on the back where the antenna connects it feels like the antenna is going to fall off. (i re tightened it so that it would not fall off)

My question is will verizon replace the modem/router (its an all in one Westell versalink 327w) Will they replace it free of charge? or will I have to pay for a brand new one even though i never paid for the one I have now.

0 Likes
Re: Replacement Modem??
mechanics600
Contributor - Level 2

Verizon will usually replace the modem for no charge.  They may request that you return the old unit and should provide a return shipping label.  Try these numbers to request a replacement,  800-688-2880 or 800-567-6789.

nospeedinternet
Enthusiast - Level 3

Free if it's still under warranty or make you add a protection plan for a dollar a month. They said you can drop the protection plan after the first month.

It's probably not the modem I have 4 extra modems here from making calls to support about slow speeds. I have only had one modem go bad in 10 years and thats the one they replaced for the dollar plan. It's in the pile with the others that there wasn't anything wrong with them.

They used to make you buy your own replacement at one time and that's how I ended up with a mess of modems.

mechanics600
Contributor - Level 2

There is no warranty issue if a call is made describing the problems and a request is made for a line check.  A trouble ticket will be pulled, a line check made and if necessary a field tech will be made available to check the wiring and equipment at the customer location.  If the results indicate a problem with the modem a new one will be provided.  Verizon may or may not request return of tha old unit.  Before calling connect the modem to the network interface on the outside of the building and check the speeds there. If there is an increase to somewhere near the plan speed then the internal house wiring is suspect and a new CA5 cable may be all that is needed.  If the speed is the same then a call should be made requesting a line check. 

nospeedinternet
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just got that modem 3 weeks ago and explained what I did above. Now you may have to do something different now that Frontier is in charge.

When I called they do not provide out of warranty replacements if you don't have a protection plan. If you don't get the protection plan you will have to pay for a replacement . I just did it 3 weeks ago and did it years ago and had the same {word filter avoidance} then.

You have to return the old one as well or you have to pay for it as well as the protection plan.

Give them a call and tell us what you have to do.

Letitride3c
Enthusiast - Level 3

The free modem/wireless modem-router that VZ sent you as part of a new customer package (for a one-time fee of $19.99) is warrantied ONLY for 90 days.  Here in Northeast market, including NY area, you will have to buy a new modem on your own afterward if you do not have the equipment protection plan @ $2.49 a month plus tax.

I had 2 bad Westell 327 modem in a little over 3 years, the first one purchased as a replacement at around $75 (some local Walmart stores sell them) and 2nd. one was free as I added the protection - now using a Westell 7500, and cancelled the plan after the replacement - got an extra W7500 from the office as we sidelined it by using the W6100 to connect to a Linksys router.

I figure that I should be good for 2 to 3 years if I don't switch plan & leave dsl - and either jump onto the cable HSI world or continue my 3+ years wait for Fios, it's been hooking neighbors on the next blocks for past 4 to 6 months, but we still cannot get it on our block, ah, ahhhhh !!

DSL's reliability & stability has been a major issue around here & I cannot imagine putting up with a 1.0/384 connection much longer in this day & age with rising prices when the alternative is much better & competitive and proper for my needs.

An alternative would be to get a used Westell for VZ on ebay, prices are fairly low ....                                                

mechanics600
Contributor - Level 2

Here in MA Verizon has been providing free replacements with the return of the old unit.

0 Likes
dowen1026

My modem kept dropping Internet access per the green bar on the top.  Restarting the modem made it work, but Internet craps out every 2 days or so.  So I believe its a hardware issue.

I talked to "Camille" in Customer Support, and she told me it would cost me $69.99 to get a replacement modem.  That got my Irish up, I asked WHY I need to pay for a replacement part that was DEFECTIVE?  She told me I could take advantage of a special promotion that could get a replacement modem for free.  I asked for a return envelope to send the old one back, she said she was in process of getting that to me "so I wouldn't get charged for the old one", then putr me on hold and came back saing there would be no return envelope, I can throw out the old, defective modem.

I called 866 270 8378, by the way, not the numbers you listed.  Word to the wise, "Camille" or very likely all of them will try to charge you for a replacement modem.

0 Likes