Slow and Slower Speed Internet Service
jrcjr1998

Trying to find out if anyone else is experience issues with their "High Speed" Internet service.  Over the past week, my service has gotten slower and slower.  Located in Southern California, so don't think we are affected by the Midwest Storms.

0 Likes
Re: Slow and Slower Speed Internet Service
insanity131

I experience this often. Im running at half the speed Im suppose to have. Its just verizon.

0 Likes
DennisTinMD

This whole verizon enhanced DSL is a joke.  I upgraded last week to the enhanced DSL and am barely getting 10% improvement from 950kb to 1110kb.  It cannot be line quality issues.  I checked my modem D/U SNR are both 24 db and the attenuation D/U is 43 and 23db.  These are excellent.  Can someone give me some advice as my ear is sore talking to customer support.  Finally they sent a new modem but that did nothing except waste time when I realized the Actiontec GT784wnv with the VZ 1.1.6 firmware does not support DDNS so I must run it in bridge mode.

What about alternatives such as dslextreme?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

To All who need help:

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I see

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

#3 If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

#4 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem, even if you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from the modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

To only insanity131 (http://forums.verizon.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/174665) the Transceiver Statistics for your modem combo..

Visit http://192.168.1.1/ for me and do the following:

a) Go to Status -> Broadband Status

b) If you need a Username and Password, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/]Serial Number

By Serial Number[/b], I don't mean type in the words Serial Number. I mean find and type in the serial number found on the bottom of this router.

c) Copy down the page but do not include: Model, Firmware Version, Gateway MAC Address, WAN IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway IP Address, DNS Address(es), PPP Status Status, User Name, LCP State, IPCP State, Authentication Failures, Session Time, Packets Sent, or Packets Received.

0 Likes
kleishopper
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm a gamer and I'm in PA with slow speeds also.  Calls to Verizon and they just get into computer and it helps nothing.  They need to increase the pipeline for DSL.  I'm suppose to have 7.1 meg and right now I have 700k.  Not to happy.  Wish Windstream was in my area.  24/4 on copper.  Verizon just cares about FIOS. 

0 Likes
raxl818

OK, so for about 2 months,  from 4:00 pm  to 3:00 am my internet speed drops from .37 to .86 making it impossible to play online or even watch netflix ive contacted Verizon 6 times and it is always my effin modem.... I finally had a tech show up and was told all my hardware is fine and that it is the congestion.... im paying for 3.1 to 7 mb... isnt this conciderd false advertisement. 

0 Likes
dbh56

I have been fighting with Verizon for over a year on my DSL speed and service.  They always put me thru all kinds of Crap and the fix never lasts more than a couple of days. Tonight service is so bad I have lost all connectivity with my Roku box and I can't watch any type of video on my computer without constant buffering.  I hate Cox but on Monday I'm switching Internet service over to them and may well switch my phone service over also. Since Verizon is collecting top $$$ from me and failing to provide top service I'm done, I suggest everyone else that has the same problem switch if they can. The Verizon techs have been telling me that Verizon doesn't care about their wired service customers anymore and is concentrating on wireless and FIOS.

0 Likes
ECUnited
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have fought this fight for years now. I paying for up to 3MB, and for the past three days my downstream rate has been 1.5MB.  But since that is within the range I am paying for, Verizon considers it 'acceptable'.  This after new modem/routers, several visits by techs, moving me to a new port at the CO, etc.....

I end up calling executive appeals, they 'magically' bump my speed back up, and then a few days/weeks later, it starts dropping again.... rinse and repeat.

It's a joke, but I have no other option besides satellite, which is too expensive, and they limit my data usage. Seriously considering a move to a location where I have other options, since I work from home and rely on my internet connection.  The 1.5 'works', and at 3MB it's 'acceptable' in my book, but it never stays at the maximum downstream rate.

0 Likes
cjAg1

Just a suggestion - Reboot your Router if you haven't already done so.

When I ran against Speetest.net, i was seeing 3Mb download and 14Mb upload. The verizon speed test showed much higher speeds. After rebooting my Router, my Speedtest.net score went from 3Mb to 54Mb. Not sure why this works, but it has made a big difference. I'm in Florida, and your problem may very well be location related.

0 Likes