Intermittent DSL connection & breaks in internet
christy217

How frustrating is this? I see this is a common post on this thread. I have contacted Verizon 5 times via phone, chatted with someone 7 times, I either get interrupted or I get told that they cannot find a problem.

They've conducted line tests and sent me a new modem.

I am so frustrated. I am thinking of going back to the old service provider I had, which was a cable company. This stuff SUCKS!

Christy

P.S. I keep getting asked by verizon if my modem is accepting 800 numbers incoming and outgoing? Well does anyone know if there is a general number you can dial to block "800" numbers in general? I thought I did this when I changed service plans, and I am wondering if that is what the issue is here. Since after I started having issues, I noticed that my wireless phones in the hosue stopped working and I had to replace it with a regular phone.

TIA

0 Likes
Re: Unique problem: Near dial up speed experienced after midnight
Pure_Energy

Update:

A tech came to my home and ran a number of tests.  He had a theory related to what could possibly be causing the slow down at night--the alarm system.  So he tested the speeds and ran his technician system test with the alarm system off and with it armed.  Test results came back exactly the same--no change alarm system on or off.

His conclusiion was that due to the distance from the office, 2,000 Kbps was about top speed range even though the modem reads 3.3M/0.864Mbps.  However, he felt the 5 year old modem should be replaced and had a combination router/modem (Westell 7500) sent out to my home andI installed it yesterday.  There was about roughly a 20% lift in top speed going from 1700 to 2000 Kbps. 

However, last night I began experiencing the drop in speed after 9:00 p.m..  The speed tests from Speakeasy, CNET, Speedtest all fell between 200 and 400 Kbps range.  If history is any indicator, it would have dropped to below 100Kbps after midnight but I couldn't stay up to perform the test.  My case it hotwired into Verizon Level 2 support and they took over my computer system last night and checked a number of settings to determine if there might be a configuation system with the modem/router or my CPU.  Everything was fine.

I've spoken to many, many people including Verizon techs, my more technically minded friends, and I've Googled this problem and no one has a theory on what may be causing the slow down during the least busiest time of the day/night.  To Verizon's credit, they're still monitoing the line and trying to determine a cause.  However, they haven't expressed a theory on what may be causing it. 

Definitely, a head-scratcher but I'll keep everyone posted on the disposition in case anyone ever has this problem again.  My guess is this problem is extremely rare but has happened before; it just hasn't been documented. 

0 Likes
DSL slows to almost nothing every day
Mario
Enthusiast - Level 1

Help!

I've put up with this problem for well over a year. Tech support has been no help.  My DSL speed slows down/stalls everyday from around 4 PM to 12 Midnight.  I'm connected to the internet but there is nothing else. The speed is fine during other times. The modem is Model 6100. I've tried everything a novice can do.  Right now, I've disconnected all my phones and I'm just using one phone and the DSL connection.

Doesn't anyone else have this problem?

Thanks for your help

Mario

Re: Seems like a ongoing problem. Slow DSL
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1Are you on Residental OR Business Service?

#2 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#3 What is the brand and model of your router?

#4 What is your OS and Version ( for example Windows XP )?

#5 What software firewall is on your computer?

#6 What anti-malware program is on your computer?

This includeds: what anti-spyware program(s).

#7 What game server is it?

0 Likes
Re: Intermittent DSL connection & breaks in internet
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the model of that Westell modem of yours?

#2 Do you have a RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes
Re: DSL slows to almost nothing every day
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Which firmware is the Westel using (the Blue and While OR the Red and Black ) ?

#3 What software firewall is on your computer?

#4 What other security software is on your computer ( Anti-virus, anti-spyware )?

0 Likes
Re: Seems like a ongoing problem. Slow DSL
Rptdoc

#1 Residental

#2 GT 704 Wg wireless DSL Modem/Router

#3 same as number 2

#4 Vista Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 2

#5 vista firewall is off

#6 Avast. but when doing server work it is turned off.

#7 GameServers.com , the server is located in Chicago

This is not on one computer.  I can turn on three other computers and they do the same thing. And no they are not all on at the same time.

Two have XP ops and two have vista 64 ops all the same speed.

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Unique problem: Near dial up speed experienced after midnight
Pure_Energy

Update: Verizon Customer Service called today and indicated they have no idea what could be causing the night time speed decline. They want to try downgrading the speed from 3 MBps to 1.5 MBps.  I reluctantly agreed to give it a try since the night time performance makes Internet service totally unusable. 

I don't think this is going to be a worthwhile fix.  Even if it does diminish or eliminate the night time slow down, I will likely have to switch to a broadband provider who can deliver faster speeds.  More and more of the work I do requires accessing large file attachments and multimedia presentations.  Not to mention wasted time waiting for web pages that are becoming more and more content rich to load.  1.5 MBps is slow by today's standards, especially when you compare it to the base package speeds provided by Cable.  FIOS is not an option at this time and it is unknown when it might become avaialable in my area. 

I'll keep you posted on how things are progressing.

0 Likes
Mario
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi, thanks for your quick response.

#1 Which firmware is the Westel using (the Blue and While OR the Red and Black ) ?

I'm not familiar with the term, firmware.  There is a yellow Ethernet cable attached to the Westel 6100.

No router.  Just have one PC connected to standard phone jack.

#3 What software firewall is on your computer?

Windows, XP

#4 What other security software is on your computer ( Anti-virus, anti-spyware )?

MacAfee and Windows Defender.  I put Windows defender on well after the problems started.

Mario

PS I will not be able to respond until Sunday.

0 Likes
Pure_Energy

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat.  My speed crawls to a snails pace in the evening.  At about  6 p.m. my upload speed surpasses my download speed.  By 9 p.m. my download is near 100 Kbps while upload is relatively fast in the 650 Kbps range. 

Verizon upgraded my modem and it hasn't  had a significant effect.  They're plan is to try slowing down the speed from 3 Mbps to 1.5 Mbps.  That will slow me down during the day (I've surpasses 2 Mbps with the new modem) but the hope is it will speed up the service available during the night.  The techs have expressed no theories on what might be causing the slow down.  They only mention that I'm far from the "central office."  However, I haven't had this problem until recently and have had great service up until they did a line switch about a month ago. 

My wife mentioned to me today that my neighbor sent out an email blast notifying everyone her email had changed from verizon to comcast.  I'm going to follow-up with her to determine if they were having the same slowing of Internet speed.

I don't know where you live, but I live in NJ.  Just want you to know you're not the only one and if you're like me don't get your hopes up that a few tweaks to your modem or replacing  your modem is going to remedy the situation. 

0 Likes