ultra slow DSL and constantly buffering video
johnd70978
Enthusiast - Level 2

For the past two weeks, whenever I try to watch even a short 2-minute clip, it stops every few seconds to buffer. It doesn't matter where the video originates from [youtube, nbc.com, comedy central, etc.]. I've been on the phone with Verizon at least 6 times in the past two weeks with many hours spent following their instructions. When they check my download speed it's always perfect, right around 3mbps. When I check it myself via VERIZON.NET/speedtest, I get readings like .08 or .05 mbps. Verizon has electronically checked my lines and assured me that all is well. I've installed a new modem they sent. Still no improvement. I have nothing draining the system. The modem is hard wired directly to the computer with no other devices accessing it. I'm totally frustrated. Is there a solution? Is anyone else having the same problem?

Re: ultra slow DSL and constantly buffering video
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Visit your modem's Transceiver Statistics page and post up what you see on that page. On the Westell modems Verizon provides, you can find these statistics at http://192.168.1.1/ and choosing System Monitoring, Advanced Monitors, and then Transceiver statistics. For older modems running Westell firmware, it's the same web address but it would be Troubleshooting > Transceiver Statistics.

If you need a Username and Password, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

Your Verizon username/password

admin/modem serial number.

johnd70978
Enthusiast - Level 2

There is no such selection as "transceiver statistics" under Advanced Monitor. Sorry. But thanks for trying to help.  

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which modem are you currently using?

johnd70978
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Westell 7500.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try this if you are sure there is no DSL/Transceiver Statistics page under Advanced Monitoring.

http://192.168.1.1/htmlV/transtat.asp

johnd70978
Enthusiast - Level 2

Transceiver Statistics Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h // Vendor ID Code 4D54 // Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt // Data Path INTERLEAVED

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 3360 / 800 Margin (dB) 17.1 / 11.0 Line Attenuation (dB) 40.0 / 22.0 Transmit Power (dBm) 10.6 / 11.9

This is what came up. Sorry for the impenetrable formatting, but that's how it printed.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't see anything wrong with the DSL line other than the fact that the upstream is not synced correctly. Do you have access to your NID? If so, can you plug your modem into the test jack found inside of the customer access portion of it (which is the case for newer NIDs) and pull up the new statistics?

Other than that, it is more than likely congestion on Verizon's end during certain times of the day, or due to faulty equipment (not working up to max capable capacity) causing the slow downs. We can generally get those issues fixed up.

johnd70978
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not sure what the NID is. But if it's the connection box that comes into the house from the outside, I do have access. But if I disconnect the modem from the computer to hook it up to the NID, how will I run the test with the computer disconnected from the Internet?

Verizon was out here to fix that connector box last year when I had the same problem and the speed tests showed no problem. The repairman said the connector clips were bad but he didn't have any new ones. So he just wrapped the bare wires around the posts and screwed them in. That seemed to solve the problem pretty well. After that the Internet ran much faster and the crackling in the phone line disappeared. Now the Internet runs slow and the phone crackles again.

I'm about at the end of my rope with this. I don't enjoy the Internet anymore since this problem started over two weeks ago. Other people I know with Verizon can watch videos with no problem despite having far less powerful computers. It may be time to search for a different service provider. Other than you, the Verizon technicians have offered me nothing in the way of a solution. Thank you for your patience and help.

John J Devlin 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@johnd70978 wrote:

But if it's the connection box that comes into the house from the outside, I do have access.

I believe that is correct.

Points to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

@johnd70978 wrote:

But if I disconnect the modem from the computer to hook it up to the NID, how will I run the test with the computer disconnected from the Internet?

Please explain your self.

-

Besides this Westell having four LAN ports, it also has built in Wireless.