Verizon Modem/Router
dale001
Enthusiast - Level 3

I currently have a dedicated phone line coming right into my Westell 6100F Verizon-supplied modem--connected to my desktop PC.

I would like my old laptop (that has a wireless LAN adapter card, which I insert into it) to be able to pick-up the Internet signal from a downstairs room, forty feet away.

I'm told Verizon has a modem/router (all-in-one) box; would the "Westell VersaLink 7500"  from Verizon get me what I want?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Modem/Router
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

FYI (For Your Infomation): The Westell 6100F is a modem combo.

If you would like to keep your existing modem:

#1 You could go get a RJ-45 WAN Port Wireless router.

b) Then, you could follow this http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

#2 OR You could add a wireless access point.

I am not sure which of those two option(s) would be cheaper, because it depends on where you shop...

-

To answer your question if you wanted a wireless modem combo from Verizon, that is what you could get.

--

Good luck.

---

PS. I am not sure of the distance factor. How far that Wireless Modem Combo VS your own wireless router VS a Wireless Access point will go.

^^^^^^

0 Likes
dale001
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you; if someone could provide a link to a   "RJ-45 WAN Port Wireless router," I would appreciate it, because I just did a search and what came up was over 100 bucks, and I'm sure that's not what you had it mind.

Yeh, I was just wondering because I could go to best Buy and get a 60 dollar router to accompany this 6100F, but if I don't need two boxes, I'd rather go that direction.  Thanks again.

Dale

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dale001 wrote:

Because I just did a search and what came up was over 100 bucks, and I'm sure that's not what you had it mind.

Yeh, I was just wondering because I could go to best Buy and get a 60 dollar router to accompany this 6100F.

It looks like you just answered your own question.

If you doubt you did, go to Bestbuy.com -> Computers > Networking > Routers > Wireless Routers.

Then sort low to high.

Direct, long URL.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemapper.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=-2483057701187...~~q70726f63657373696e6774696d653a3e313930302d30312d3031~~cabcat0500000%23%230%23%232g3~~cabcat0503000%23%230%23%237g~~cabcat0503001%23%230%23%233n~~ncabcat0503002%23%230%23%231r&add_to_pkg=false&pagetype=listing

--

Besides Bestbuy.com, there is staples.com

The cheapest RJ-45 WAN Port Wireless N router, is $44.99 as noted at

http://www.staples.com/Wireless-N-%28Draft-802.11n%29-Routers-Access-Points-Wireless-N/StaplesCatego...

The cheapest RJ-45 WAN Port Wireless G router, is $29.99 as noted at

http://www.staples.com/Wireless-G-Routers-Access-Points-Wireless-G/StaplesCategoryDisplay?langId=-1&...

@dale001 wrote:

but if I don't need two boxes, I'd rather go that direction.  Thanks again.

In that case, if you wanted to buy from Bestbuy - for example.

#1 Best Buy > Computers > Networking > Modems, Gateways & VoIP -> DSL Modems only.

#2 Sort low to high.

Direct URL

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemapper.jsp?id=pcat17080&type=page&qp=crootcategoryid%23%23-1%...~~q70726f63657373696e6774696d653a3e313930302d30312d3031~~cabcat0500000%23%230%23%2311a~~cabcat0503000%23%230%23%2356~~cabcat0503013%23%230%23%23f~~nf195||44534c206d6f64656d&list=y&nrp=15&sc=abComputerSP&sp=%2Bcurrentprice+skuid&usc=abcat0500000

#3 When there: Ignore any DSL modems that work only with Qwest and DSL modems that work only with AT@T.

---

PS. I am not saying where you should buy your router or which one to buy.

0 Likes
RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

Veruizon plans come with a wireless DSL router.  Unless your 6100 from Verizon predates this policy, you may already have what you need. 

How do you know that  your current DSL router doesn't have wireless.  Have you logged into your router?

RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

Oops.  Sorry.  I looked up the westell 6100 via google and sure enough, its not a wireless router. My bad.

If I were you, I'd contact Verizon and see if they won't swap a wireless DSL router for your existing 6100, for free.  In the best of all possible worlds, they will give you a few days to get the new box up and running, before you have to return the 6100. 

Letitride3c
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just another checkpoint for OP, how "old" is your laptop - over 5 or 6 years old ?  You might want to check it to make sure that it will work on 802.11g and whether firmware/software updates are available to provide with you, ideally WPA level security (prefered over WEP)

VZ are sending out mostly Westell 7500 wireless modem/router combo to DSL customers and generally speaking, it's good but it does not have an external antenna connector - so if you have signal issue due to distance and needed a 5 dB or 10 dB gain antenna to boost, you cannot  ....

There are plenty of Westell 327 around on eBay, both used and some new in box, and they aren't expensive - it's an all-in-one wireless modem/router device, it's older but there's plenty of them doing workhorse duties on VZ DSL.  Priced around $30 & up. 

The Westell 6100 is a small, compact modem and very reliable, and I've helped a friend of mine put it in a "bridge" mode and hookup an inexpensive wireless router, stacked on top of each other with space for vent or air circulation.  Vendors like Linksys (Cisco), D-Link, Netgear 802.11g routers can be picked up easily at stores like Best Buy or even Staples for under $50 (less if ordered from places like Tigerdirect . com or via eBay)  Other brands like Trendnet cost even less and come with a Setup Wizard so it's nearly self-configured and ready in 10 or 15 minutes.  Disadvantage is that you ended up with an extra piece of gears. 

dale001
Enthusiast - Level 3

If I got a Westell VersaLink 7500 to replace my current modem, would I have to phone Verizon tech and get the new modem working--or should there be a connection already (assuming correct cabling/wiring on my end) once I connect everything?

A friend of mine is using this new modem and yes, my laptop will work with it too.

Thanks

0 Likes
Letitride3c
Enthusiast - Level 3

There should be no need to call VZ DSL tech support to connect the Westell 7500 and for it to work, since it's designed for DHCP and dynamic ip (unless you are in one of the Western states - in which case, pull the old modem & leave the line for 2 or 3 hours, then connect the new Westell)

There's a small red reset button on the back of the modem, push it in for a few seconds while powered up and reboot/restore all the settings to factory default.  It might take a few minutes to fully boot up (mine will sometimes take up to 10 minutes, just be patient as the "Activity Light" will eventually blink or flash to indicate functionality. 

While getting it installed, it will be a good time to change the username/password on the modem/router, change wireless security to WPA2 (TKIP) for better protection and to check other settings, including firewall and ports, etc.

Good luck!

dale001
Enthusiast - Level 3

My new Westell 7500 came today and after some time spent on getting it hooked-up and the settings, I now have it working.

The problem is: my email client can receive emails but for whatever reason it cannot send emails--and I didn't make ANY changes to my smtp settings or any email client settings. I can use yahoo to send the email, but not my email client.

Anyone have an idea on what I did wrong when setting-up the new modem?

Dale

0 Likes