Wireless Keeps Dropping, But Actual DSL is Fine...
running4cover

Okay, I have two PC's setup; one connected directly to the router via ethernet cables, the other a laptop (Asus G51vx-RX05) connecting to the default wifi network from my router.  For unknown reasons I keep losing internet on my laptop; my computer seems to think it's still online, because when I click Diagnose and Repair it says there's no problem, and the Internet Icon on my taskbar still shows the connection, but the internet just stops working.  Sometimes if I restart my computer it comes back (but I'm not convinced the restarting actually helps, but raher that the Wifi randomly starts working again), and sometimes if a restart the router it works, but nothing is consistant.  The only changes I've made to my routers configuration are changing the WEP key (I had the problems vefore and after this), and changing the Channel to 11.  Some people suggested that it could be neighbors leeching off my internet, but it started within two hours of getting DSL hooked up, so I doubt that (and I was still having problems withing 10 minutes of changing my WEP).  The only thing that seems to ncourage it to start working again is if I view the networks under the "Connect to a Network" screen, and change the security (under my network's properties) to something totally wrong (such as changing the Key Index), let it realize there's a problem, then switch it back.  This almost always works,but there have been exceptions... I can't for the life of me figure this out, and am desperately hoping it is a problem with my wifi and not my laptop (I've tried two different routers now, both had the same problems). 

Thanks for your time!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wireless Keeps Dropping, But Actual DSL is Fine...
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@running4cover wrote:

2) - How would I check this?  I do not know.

It depends on the OS, but here is an example of some of the steps...

* For example on Windows XP *

#1 Go to Start

#2 Control Panel

#3 Performance and Maintenance

#4 System

#5 Hardware

#6 Device Manager.

#7 If sorted by type, select Network Adapters and then select your NIC.

#8 Right click on Properies.

#9 Go to Driver.

This is where the info on what driivers are in use.

--

#10 Then you must go to the company who made this NIC, and find out what the most up-to-date drivers are..

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the brand and model of this wireless router?

#2 Are your drivers for the Wireless NIC updated?

#3 Do you have any cell phones or cordless phones?

0 Likes
running4cover

1) - My new router is a Westell a90 750015 07 (the one I was using until about two-three weeks ago is a Westell D90 327w15 06)

3) - Yes, three people in my house have cell phones, myself included (although mine is usually turned off, and the others are usually on different floors of the house)

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@running4cover wrote:

It depends on the OS, but here is an example of some of the steps...

* For example on Windows XP *

#1 Go to Start

#2 Control Panel

#3 Performance and Maintenance

#4 System

#5 Hardware

#6 Device Manager.

#7 If sorted by type, select Network Adapters and then select your NIC.

#8 Right click on Properies.

#9 Go to Driver.

This is where the info on what driivers are in use.

--

#10 Then you must go to the company who made this NIC, and find out what the most up-to-date drivers are..

0 Likes
running4cover

Okay, so the drivers were all up to date, BUT I did find the problem when looking at my Network Adapter's properties; one of them was set to turn off for powersave, and apparently that's what it was doing that caused me to lose internet frequently!  Sorry I didnt respond sooner (I wanted to make sure the change worked before i marked as solved.  I'm now going to look for the button that marks this as solved, and remain happy about both my laptop AND verizon 🙂

0 Likes