Wireless Modem and Internet is Working SLOWER than acceptable
njru99

We used to have all-in-one package with the cable company.  I convinced my husband to switch to the verizon package with the dish.  We have had Verizon service since February.  Very often our wireless connection is lost.  When I called customer service they told me this was common and that I just needed to restart my modem whenver this happens.  I don't think that it is acceptable that I am paying for a service and I still need to restart my modem at least once a day.  Is anyone else having similar problems?

Additionally, the internet speed is not impressive.  I know that i can pay for a higher speed.  we only do casual internet usage, no major downloads, etc.  So, I think that the basic package should provide enough speed for what we need. 

0 Likes
Re: Wireless Modem and Internet is Working SLOWER than acceptable
Tiggerrick
Enthusiast - Level 2
It may not be your modem. It may in fact be your service. I used to get great DSL speeds until FiOS was launched.  Now, between 6pm and 11pm my internet is mostly unusable.  Maybe the servers are too busy with the FiOS connections.  I think Verizon has decided to focus on those accounts, and has left the DSL crowd high and dry.  Have you noticed any speed changes depending on the time of day?
i_like_turtles
Contributor - Level 1

try connecting directly to the router and see if the slowness happens.

if it does not happen, then the problem may be the wireless antenna.

If it still is slow, then its possible it could be the router.

if it does not happen when directly plugged in, then try using it wirelessly in the same room as the router.

if it is all of a suddon slow, then it may be the wireless antenna

if it is still fast in the same room, then the wireless function is working correctly.

check how many walls you are working through when using wireless b/c wireless signals sometimes have difficulty going through many walls.

also check the range, wireless routers have a range of around 50m.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Please post you DSL modem's tranceiver statistics.

0 Likes