Xbox Live Issue
enokw8

In the past, I was able to assign a static IP and open the recommended ports to allow me to use Xbox live. Then late Januray, my xbox just stopped connecting to xbox live. Internet on the laptop is fine using the same router. 

I find myself resetting the router and going through the steps I've tried before. Internet still work on the laptop and xbox can test that internet is working, but no xbox live. I have checked with xbox live and it is not down.

Possible issues

- When going to my router settings at 192.168.1.1, my settings will not allow me to save a static IP. No matter what address I put in and subnet mask, it gives me an error. Is this the problem? Do I need to have a static IP setup before I can complete my port forwarding?

- Opening the recommended ports by xbox does not allow live connection. Am I creating the rule wrong? I went to the security settings, applications and created a rule to address ports 88, 3074, etc. No luck. 

Anybody else going through this? Is this a verizon issue or an xbox issue?

I'm not a network guru, but I'm not an idiot either. I can't understand why it won't let me setup a static IP when I have done this before in the past.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Xbox Live Issue
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the brand and model of your DSL modem?

#2 I know that connected to your DSL modem is a power supply and a phone line.

#3 What else is connected to the DSL modem (by wire) ?

If connected to it is a RJ-45 WAN port router, what is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes
enokw8
Here is the details on the router.
Actiontec Electronics Actiontec Wireless DSL Gateway GT704WGB Wireless router - 4-port switch (integrated) - EN, Fast EN, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g

Nothing else is connected other than the phone line and the power. We use wireless for the laptop and xbox.
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 In the router go to Status -> General Status

#2 In there, one of the IP Address should be the same IP Address that is in the paragraph as 

There is no standard governing the format of these machine names, so this is not something we can automatically determine for you.

at https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

#3 If not, please report back that fact.

#4 In the router go to Advanced Setup -> DHCP Settings

#5 What is the Starting and Ending IP Address?

#6 In the router go to Advanced Setup -> UPnP

#7 If you do not have at least two special computers that support Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) where you can not define the ports that they use, turn off UPnP in the router.

A perfect example. At least two game consoles. Any two (Two Xboxes, two Playstations, One Xbox and one Playstation).

#8 If you have at least two special computers that support UPnP where you can not define the ports that they use: Do only use one at a time OR are there times when at least two are on?

--

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.actiontec.com/support/doc_files/GT704-WG-B_Vz_User_Man...

0 Likes
enokw8

Thanks for the help and directing me to the UPnP. That was the problem. I had to turn it on. After doing that and the port forwarding as recommended by xbox, I was able to connect. 

Thanks!

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 You are welcome but you jumped ahead of me.

#2 While that is not what I recommended: Please consider marking this issue, as solved.

#3 If you only have one system that supports UPnP where you can't define the ports that it uses, you don't need to use UPnP.

#4 UPnP should really be only used if you have at least two systems that support UPnP where you can't define the ports that they use and if at least are ever on at the same time.

#5 Please note: Since I don't have a system that supports UPnP where I can't define the ports that it uses, I am not sure about number 3 and 4 is true (or not). It is only based upon info, that I have read/heard.

^^^^

0 Likes