Actiontec router does not support wireless range extender - so how to extend range?
bmad1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called Verizon to see if they sold or could recommend range extender for my Verizon Actiontec MI424WR Rev. F router.

Was transferred (by mistake) to Actiontec tech rep. He said the Verizon Actiontec routers lack WDS (wireless distribution services) so a wireless extender would not work with a Actiontec router.

Our router is in our basement - I know that is the problem. But we many Ethernet wires and coax leading to that spot,so moving the Verizon router would be a challenge. Could I buy a wireless router, connect it to a port on the Verizon router, then turn off the Verizon router's wireless function? If so, recommendation for a 3rd party router? Would be much easier to drill one hole etc.for the one wire for a 3rd party wireless router that I could place on floor above basement. 

BTW I spoke to 2 Verizon tech support people and customer service. All said Verizon does not sell or recommend range extenders. They said I could buy a range extender at Best Buy or Radio Shack. The 2nd tech support person transferred me to router support when I asked to speak with someone more knowledgeable. He connected me to a Actiontec tech rep – the Actiontec rep said he was only supposed to Verizon employees, but then answered all my questions.

In additon to informing me that range extender would not work, he said I could try replacing antennae on my router with high gain RP-SMA (high gain antennae service?), would need to be in the 7-12 decibel range. Also, told me I have a G class router- If I switch to N class all wireless devices would have to be N class or network would slow down to G Class. Of course, none of the Verizon techs mentioned that...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Actiontec router ... how to extend range? - Use WAP
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@bmad wrote:

... Our router is in our basement ... many Ethernet wires and coax leading to that spot ... Could I buy a wireless router, connect it to a port on the Verizon router, then turn off the Verizon router's wireless function? ...

It may be easiest to add a simple wireless access point (WAP) hard-wired to the network.  I have such a device connected over Ethernet to the network via a switch.  It provides an additional Wi-Fi network in a convenient location and works perfectly.

0 Likes
bmad1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply. Could you be more specific? Better to add the WAP than a wireless router? (I did  a quick search found this model D-Link® Xtreme N® Duo Wireless Bridge/Access Point)

I was thinking of putting in a wireless router in kitchen by: drilling hole in kitchen floor, running an Ethernet to an open port on the Verizon router in the basement. I assume that I would then turn off the Verizon Actiontec wireless, use the new wireless router in kitchen, which would provide enhanced wireless coverage upstairs.

I assume a WAP would require a hardwired Ethernet connection. That is possible, although would require unplugging a seldom used computer upstairs. Would that be better than doing what  I describe above. Can you recommend a specific WAP?

Thanks

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1
You have asked many questions, each of which requires a separate response. To start ...
bmad wrote:
Better to add the WAP than a wireless router? ... thinking of putting in a wireless router in kitchen by: drilling hole in kitchen floor, running an Ethernet to an open port on the Verizon router in the basement. I assume that I would then turn off the Verizon Actiontec wireless, use the new wireless router in kitchen, which would provide enhanced wireless coverage upstairs ...
In my view a wireless access point is "better" for your particular application than a wireless router due to its simplicity.  Since you don't need an additional router (and the attendant configuration issues), why not go with the simpler WAP?  I use a simple Cisco WAP and keep it relatively secure using MAC filters.  I also have the luxury of having everything hard-wired all over my home so the configuration choices are many and simple.

bmad wrote:
I assume a WAP would require a hardwired Ethernet connection. That is possible, although would require unplugging a seldom used computer upstairs. Would that be better than doing what  I describe above ... 

You don't have to unplug anything.  Just add a simple 4-port switch where the existing computer is connected and plug the WAP into it.

bmad wrote:

... Can you recommend a specific WAP? 

These days it's hard to go wrong.  Just don't spend too much for features not required.  All my "stuff" dates from the relatively pre-historic age of ten or so years ago and all of it does just fine, even with Verizon Quantum.  I did however add a new 24 port Gigabit switch about a year ago to simplify the layout and also because my new computers can handle the speed.

prisaz
Legend

Also another item you can do is lock down your wireless access point speeds, I have one that only runs G, and another that is set for only N. This way you can have older and newer wireless devices that run at different speeds. But remember they will both Have different a SSID and Key. The wireless G is what I let visitors on, or devices I know are slower, wifes old laptop. The wireless N I only allow faster devices, so as not to drop the speed on that AP. Actiontec Rev f. Wireless G, and lock the new access point to where it only allowes faster wireless N? Also remember the Verizon router can display the SSID and Key to anyone that has access to your TV. (Visitors) Thus my wieless N is behind my second NAT firewall.

Just an idea. There are many ways it can be done. This is a good thread.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Why-your-Wi-Fi-is-slow/m-p/534451#U534451

Also I tried to place one AP upstairs which was great for the neighbors, or outside the house, but did not work well in the basement. Below the ground plain is probably a good dead spot.

0 Likes
Re: Actiontec router does not support wireless range extender - so how to extend range?
Noochi01
Bmad-what did you decide to go with? WAP I presume? Please be specific as I have the same model router and am in the exact same situation.

Thanks!
0 Likes
Re: Actiontec router does not support wireless range extender - so how to extend range?
hb861
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not sure who gave you that information but i use a D-Link DAP-1320 range extender with my actiontec router and it took me 5 minutes to set it up.

0 Likes
NoMoreActiontec

Please explain how this is possible when the Verizon routers we own are from Actiontec and they do not support WDS.

I've purchased 2 separate extenders despite knowing this, hoping to get lucky.  Neither of them were recognized by my router.

For anyone else reading this post, I'd hold off on trying the D-Link DAP-1320.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bmad wrote:

I called Verizon to see if they sold or could recommend range extender for my Verizon Actiontec MI424WR Rev. F router.

Was transferred (by mistake) to Actiontec tech rep. He said the Verizon Actiontec routers lack WDS (wireless distribution services) so a wireless extender would not work with a Actiontec router.

Our router is in our basement - I know that is the problem. But we many Ethernet wires and coax leading to that spot,so moving the Verizon router would be a challenge. Could I buy a wireless router, connect it to a port on the Verizon router, then turn off the Verizon router's wireless function? If so, recommendation for a 3rd party router? Would be much easier to drill one hole etc.for the one wire for a 3rd party wireless router that I could place on floor above basement. 

I know it's 8 months but apparently you still haven't resolved it

Why bother with a range extender, just go on to ebay and but a 2nd hand verizon router and configure it with a static address on the 192.168.1 sub net, turn off dhcp and set it with a different ssid to the basement router.  Then connect it via coax in a near location where you want to get signal to - the coax that you connect to needs to be on the same coax network as the basement router.  You can then connect wirelessly to that new ssid and the basement router will handle the dhcp allocation for your wireless devices on the 2nd router.

0 Likes
jyo1

I have been using a Cisco RE 1000 range extender. This gives me excellent signal strength ...HOWEVER every now and then I get disconnected and then my laptop says- signal strength - "excellent" ,  "unable to connect".

If I move the laptop downstairs where the Actiontec router/modem is located - I have no problem.

I have the same problem with my tablet and so does my daughter who has a newer computer.

Is there a compatability problem?

I do not have a spare ethernet port as all 4 are being used - 2 for TVs one for an xBox and one for an older desktop.

Some one suggested I use an actiontec range extender.

0 Likes