Can I have two wireless routers on my network?
fractureguy1

I have the Fios 75/75 package and using the wireless router that Verizon gave me in the living room.  I want to put my smart tv up in the bedroom and connect the ethernet connection to a wireless router that I want to install in the bedroom (since I dont have an ethernet connection in the bedroom. 

I own a Linksys Etherfast Wireless Access point router with 4 port switch (model BEFW11S4).

Could I use that as my wireless network access in the bedroom? And what do I need to switch on/off on the Linksys router? I have already assigned it 192.168.1.10 (since my Fios router is 192.168.1.1)

thanks in advance

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can I have two wireless routers on my network?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, you can have multiple access points in your home.

Typically, you do not want the additional devices to functions as NAT routers, otherwise they will create isolated networks and potentially cause issues with the main network.  What you want is an access point, not a router.  A router can be turned into an access point by turning off it's DHCP server and putting it into bridge mode.  You'll have to check the documentation for your router for the specific ways to do that.  You may also find help on the vendor's web site.

Good Luck.

0 Likes