Westell Versaport 7500 as wifi booster only
ktempor

(The existing q and a on this in the DSL forum, I think, is too terse for a newbie.)

Is there a way to use this old DSL/router as just a wifi signal booster?

I want to get a wifi signal from some sort of verizon fios router behind a wall to my old Macintosh's Airport/wifi card. This scenario will not work without a Netgear WN2000RPTv2 in between to boost the wifi signal. I'd like to substitute for the Netgear, if possible.

So I want to go:

From the router which has the internet access via wifi to my Westell (presently the Netgear booster) and then via wifi or via ethernet onto my ppc Mac running Tiger.

I've heard the Westell does have a bridge mode which might allow this function, but my source may not have understood what I am trying to do.

Unfortunately it would probably take a youtube video or an existing explanation somewhere - I'd really need basic, step by step instructions.

Please let me know if you have any leads. Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Westell Versaport 7500 as wifi booster only
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe there is a way to do that.

What is the brand and model of the router that is handling the public IP ?

0 Likes
ktempor

Thanks. The owner has it buried behind stuff, and while he has given me his password I only know his router is what verizon was giving fios internet and cable customers as of three years ago.

I thought the technical bugaboo here was getting my old DSL modem / router into a bridge mode to be a wifi booster only, and how to wire (if not wireless entirely) things.

0 Likes
jmcguoirk
Enthusiast - Level 3

Check this out: http://goo.gl/Aqtlm

Good luck.

0 Likes