Diagnose: busy signal on phone, no dialtone, but DSL works
cdbrmmte

My phone line is dead, and when I call the # from another phone I get a busy signal.  I do not have a Network Interface Device, the phone line comes down the side of the house, straight into the basement and terminates at some sort of terminal block.  My phone used to work, then I got DSL about 8 months ago and the phone worked intermittently, lately it hasn't worked at all.

My DSL works (same pair of conductors as the phone, only one jack on the circuit).  I have swapped line cords, telephones, unplugged the computer line, tried different Verizon-supplied filters, replaced my jack and replaced the house wiring back to the phone terminal.

I have disconnected the house wiring from the terminal block and tested voltage of the telephone wire only, I have 38.1V from conductor 1 to ground, 13.5V from conductor 2 to ground, and a line to line voltage of 24.7V.  The apartment in front of me has a line-to-line of about 50V- I don't remember what each line to ground was.

Verizon says they don't have a problem with the line, and the tech they sent over to check outside says everything at the pole is working properly.

What happened to my phone?

Thanks for any ideas 

0 Likes
Re: Diagnose: busy signal on phone, no dialtone, but DSL works
hysterdriver

I am having almost the same problem except that people can call in but it goes to voice mail.  I've even hooked up a different phone and still have the problem.  Yet my DSL is working flawlessly (well as flawless as Verizon can be).

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
fcoffee78

I'm having similar problems. The dsl is working flawlessly, but I do not have a dial tone. When making an incoming call the line will ring and go to voice mail.......but it will not ring in the house. My mother was on the phone the other day talking to a friend and it just went dead!!! The phone just cut off and no dial tone afterwards. We called Verizon and they said that nothing is wrong with the phone line on their end. So basically they have no solution!!!!

This is ridiculous!!!! I want to get a tech to come out, but I do not want to pay all that money to have someone tell me that everything is working fine.......when clearly it is not!!!!

I don't understand. I unplugged all the phones as well as the modem. The phones were plugged up one by one, but still no dial tone. Everything was working fine, up til a few weeks ago. Now the phone works for a few hours then goes dead every day.........every single day!!!! Something is definitely wrong!!!!

0 Likes
scottcraig
Same issue here I signed up for the "upgraded" DSL now my speed is slower and I have no dial tone. even time warner isn't this bad at fixing this no phone for 9 days now but they sent me my bill
0 Likes
westom
Contributor - Level 1

> The dsl is working flawlessly, but I do not have a dial tone. When making an incoming
> call the line will ring and go to voice mail.......but it will not ring in the house.

Simplest diagnostic procedure dictates: go to the half way point.  Test to learn.  Is the problem to the left or to the right?

That terminal block is a surge protector.  All phone line had surge protectors even in the 1950s.  Numerous problems can create the problems posted by many.  So we go to that half way point.

Mark each wire where it connects to that block.  Disconnect the telco wire.  Using alligator clips (or some other test lead and maybe a connector block - spend the $5) connect that phone (and anything else necessary to create the problem) directly to the telco phone line.  Does the problem exist?  If yes, then it is Verizon’s problem - 100%.  If not, it is your problem - 100%.  Only useful test is one that provides definitive (100%) answers.

For those with NIDs, open the side that says customer access.  Make the half way test there by disconnecting the entire house. By making the POTS phone line connection directly to the NID – nothing else in the house connected.

Now, that surge protector block may be partially shorted.  That also causes same symptoms posted by many.   Numerous types of electricity exist on phone lines.  A short in that protector block can cause longitudinal electric problems (POTS phone) and not interfere with metallic mode electricity (DSL).  Do you know what those words mean?  Most do not.  Unfortunately, many newer Verizon techs are so poorly trained as to also not understand those simple concepts.  Just another reason why you want to identify the problem before he fixed it.

The first test determined which side has a failure.   Simply connect the protector block back into your test setup (which is why you carefully marked each wire before disconnecting).  Does that recreate the failure?

See how it works?  First establish a baseline at a half way point.  Then work slowly towards the problem.  In CSI, they say, 'follow the evidence'.  Anyone who would suggest a solution without 'following the evidence' demonstrates why junk science reasoning is alive and well.

Furthermore, the above diagnostic procedure means a few who know more can now post replies.  Without facts from those tests, the most knowledgeable have nothing to offer – remain mute.

0 Likes
fcoffee78
westom > Thank you for the info, but I have no idea what you are talking about!!!! I never had this problem with my phone and would never need to do any of those suggestions you mentioned. I will not touch any wires...I'm no electrician. I'm not trying to make a bigger mess out of the situation.
0 Likes
larryw9999
Contributor - Level 1

fcoffee78,

Phone and dsl service needs to travel over the copper lines outside of your home and the wires inside your home. So the problem can be either outside or inside. To avoid any costly, unexpected charges if the problem is inside your home, you can call and subscribe to an "inside wire maintenance" plan from verizon. I don't know the exact cost, but my guess is that it is less than $10/month and is a service that can be added on a month to month basis. Having a maintenance plan on your in home wires helps to keep down any cost of repairing inside wire problems.

Call 1-800-Verizon during business hours. I think you need to ask for "products and services" and when you get to an agent, ask about the details (monthl cost, commitment, etc) of adding "inside wire maintenance".

If it makes sense to you, add it to your line and once added, call in for technical support and they will likely send out a technician to diagnose and fix your issue. If the problem is inside your home, you will be covered by the maintenance plan.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
westom
Contributor - Level 1

fcoffee78 wrote:
westom > Thank you for the info, but I have no idea what you are talking about!!!! I never had this problem with my phone and would never need to do any of those suggestions you mentioned.

{please keep your posts courteous} 

I'm having similar problems. The dsl is working flawlessly, but I do not have a dial tone.

Nothing on a phone requires an electrician. Required is knowledge available to any junior high school student. Simple knowledge such as "mark and record what exists before changing anything". Another simple concept that requires junior high school knowledge such as “follow the evidence”.

{edited}

Posted is not just how to solve the OP's problem – information for every poster and lurker. Posted is a concept - how to solve any problem. {please keep it relevant}

If dsl works flawlessly, but POTS phone has no dialtone, then posted was how to identify that problem before fixing it - another simple  concept to solving all problems.  Solution begins by going to a halfway point – then learn whether the problem is to the left or right.

If phone wires scare you, then never jump start a car or replace a fluorescent light bulb – which are many times more dangerous. Only people with minimum capacity (ie a junior high school student) can be trusted to jump start a car or replace that light bulb. Posted for everyone - not just you -  is how anyone can identify that no dialtone problem.  Nobody ever posts here only for your benefit.

Message Edited by ElizabethS on 06-23-2009 07:25 PM
0 Likes
fcoffee78
Thanks Larry for that suggestion. If I need to call tech support to fix an issue in my home then I want to be covered under this plan so I will not have to pay any extra fees. I'm going to call Verizon tomorrow to see about getting the "inside wire maintenance" plan.

westom > There is no need to go on and on..... Regardless if your post was for this entire forum it was addressing my specific issue. You made a comment and I responded. Why are you getting all worked up?? You need to find something more constructive to do then posting useless statements that do not benefit anyone, but you.
0 Likes
larryw9999
Contributor - Level 1

Just do it as two separate calls.. Place one call and get inside wire maintenace added. Ask the agent when inside maintenance will be reflected on your account.

Then place a second call to 1-800-Verizon and you'll want to say "tech support" for "phone" service. That will get you to a tech support/repair center where they can test your line and schedule a tech dispatch to your home.

larry

0 Likes