digitial voice
stevenr4472

When I had DSL, I bought a Radio Shack phone polarity checker.  I made sure all the extensions were wired correctly.  After 3 months of having FIOS, I found the tester and decided to try it.  It reads a red light on all phones.  That means our home phones are all hooked up backwards.  Should I care or even switch the wires in my basement.  However, all the phones ring normally and we can make and receive calls just fine.  The TV and internet also work fine.  Should I ignore this.  (If it is not broken, don't fix it.)  I did not even bother telling Verizon or anybody here about this.  Can this lead to phone failure in a few years?

0 Likes
Re: digital voice
James_VZ
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey  Stevenr4472

There are times when the polarity of your phone line matters, even today. Simply put, reverse polarity means that the two wires that carry your dial tone are improperly connected at the phone jack. Fortunately, the FiOS system doesn't require correct polarity in order to function. You may have to switch the wires if you hook up an alarm system, but most phones work just fine regardless. In this instance, I'd say if it is not broke, don't try to fix it.

James

Re: digital voice
prisaz
Legend

@James_VZ wrote:

Hey  Stevenr4472

There are times when the polarity of your phone line matters, even today. Simply put, reverse polarity means that the two wires that carry your dial tone are improperly connected at the phone jack. Fortunately, the FiOS system doesn't require correct polarity in order to function. You may have to switch the wires if you hook up an alarm system, but most phones work just fine regardless. In this instance, I'd say if it is not broke, don't try to fix it.

James

As James said it it aint broke dont fix it. If all jacks are showing tip and ring backwards, you could just switch polarity on the two wires at the ONT. These can be found on the customer side of the ONT. It probably would not hurt anything. try it and see if your line tester shows correctly. Tip and ring wires used to be very important, but now not so much. If they were backwards before, older phones would not ring. I would want it correct in my house. But that is me.

0 Likes